Coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp

I apologize. I was unable to find the solutions to the given problem. However, the correct solutions are:(a) -0.30*(3.50*9.8*sin 15)*(3.40) = -12.8 J(b) (3.50*9.8*cos 15)*(3.40) = 113.6 J(c) 3.5*9.8*sin 15*(3.40) = 42.3 J(d) -12.8 + 113.6 + 42.3 = 143.1 J(e) Using conservation of energy, we can equate the initial potential energy (mgh) with the final kinetic energy (
myk127

Homework Statement

A 3.50 kg block slides 3.40 m down a long 15 degrees inclines ramp. the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp is 0.30. find the following: (a) the work done on the block by friction (b) the work done on the block by gravity (c) the work done on the block by the normal force (d) the total work done on the block. If the block has a speed of 5.0 mps at the top of the ramp, (e) find its speed after sliding 3.40 m down the ramp.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wfk - work by friction
Wg - work by gravity
Wn - work by normal force
Wt - total work

(a) -0.30*(3.50*9.8*sin 15) = Wfk
(b) Wg = (3.50*9.8*cos 15) = Wg
(c) 3.5*9.8*sin 15 = Wn
(d) Wfk + Wg + Wn = Wt
(e) ?

am I correct with the solutions that I made. I feel like I made something wrong and how do you find (e)? pls tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
myk127 said:

Homework Statement

A 3.50 kg block slides 3.40 m down a long 15 degrees inclines ramp. the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp is 0.30. find the following: (a) the work done on the block by friction (b) the work done on the block by gravity (c) the work done on the block by the normal force (d) the total work done on the block. If the block has a speed of 5.0 mps at the top of the ramp, (e) find its speed after sliding 3.40 m down the ramp.

The Attempt at a Solution

Wfk - work by friction
Wg - work by gravity
Wn - work by normal force
Wt - total work

(a) -0.30*(3.50*9.8*sin 15) = Wfk
(b) Wg = (3.50*9.8*cos 15) = Wg
(c) 3.5*9.8*sin 15 = Wn
(d) Wfk + Wg + Wn = Wt
(e) ?

am I correct with the solutions that I made. I feel like I made something wrong and how do you find (e)? pls tell me.

Better start with a). What is the coefficient of friction? What is it based on? Isn't it a resistance to motion based on ... what? And over what distance does it act?

oops. I forgot to multiply it by the displacement. so my solution would be:
(a) -0.30*(3.50*9.8*sin 15)(3.40) = Wfk
(b) Wg = (3.50*9.8*cos 15)(3.40) = Wg
(c) 3.5*9.8*sin 15(3.40) = Wn
(d) Wfk + Wg + Wn = Wt
(e) ?

am I right with my solutions now? how do I find (e)?

myk127 said:
oops. I forgot to multiply it by the displacement. so my solution would be:
(a) -0.30*(3.50*9.8*sin 15)(3.40) = Wfk
(b) Wg = (3.50*9.8*cos 15)(3.40) = Wg
(c) 3.5*9.8*sin 15(3.40) = Wn
(d) Wfk + Wg + Wn = Wt
(e) ?

am I right with my solutions now? how do I find (e)?

To begin with a) is incorrect. The force from friction is determined as to magnitude by the normal force from the block on the incline, even though it's effect is along the surface of the incline.

The work from gravity may be given more simply from observing its change in potential energy. How much height has it given up moving down the incline?

Work is defined by the distance over which a force acts. While there is a force normal to the block, it does not act in the direction of motion, hence it's distance is 0 and the work from the normal force is ...

d) is correct if you have the correct values fore each of the components of the total.

For the last one if you know the total work, then what else do you know from the conservation of Energy? If you have given up potential energy where has the excess over friction gone to? What kind of energy? And the formula for determining that is ...

What is the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp?

The coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp is a measure of the resistance to motion between the two surfaces. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with a lower value indicating less resistance to motion.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move the block by the force pushing the block onto the ramp. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/m, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the block, and m is the mass of the block.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp?

The coefficient of friction is affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces, the materials of the block and ramp, the weight of the block, and the temperature. A rougher surface and higher weight will result in a higher coefficient of friction, while a smoother surface and lower weight will result in a lower coefficient of friction.

Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to move an object on a surface. This can be useful in designing structures and machines, as well as understanding the behavior of objects on different surfaces.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the block on the ramp?

The coefficient of friction affects the motion of the block on the ramp by determining the amount of force needed to move the block. A higher coefficient of friction will require more force to move the block, resulting in slower motion, while a lower coefficient of friction will require less force and result in faster motion.