Coefficient of friction for rubber on wood

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
LESLEY

Homework Statement


I have a homework assignment that requires me to use the coefficient of static and kinetic friction for rubber on wood. I cannot locate this value anywhere so far.

Homework Equations


None.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have searched and searched and I cannot find the answer so far. Thanks for any input.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How smooth is the wood? The number could vary dramatically depending on both the smoothness of the wood and the type and smoothness of the rubber.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Nidum
Charles Link said:
How smooth is the wood? The number could vary dramatically depending on both the smoothness of the wood and the type and smoothness of the rubber.
Thanks for your reply. I guess if there's a range out there somewhere I could go with that. It's not a value I'm required to calculate - he just wants us to use that number to compare with our experiment results. However I can't find a chart that has the coefficient of friction with those materials. The wood isn't polished - just like a 2x4 that came from home depot, and the rubber would be similar to a hockey puck.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
I found http://catalog.lib.kyushu-u.ac.jp/handle/2324/23785/p147.pdf
(Google search engine)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
haruspex said:
I found http://catalog.lib.kyushu-u.ac.jp/handle/2324/23785/p147.pdf
(Google search engine)
@LESLEY , it looks like Fig. 10 of this "link" from @haruspex may give you a good estimate.