Friction of rubber box on concrete floor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
anon3005
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 10 kg rubber box is resting on a concrete floor. A force of 200 N is then applied to this box in a horizontal direction. What is the magnitude of the friction force on the box?

Homework Equations


This is a question about applying Newton's laws so Fsmax = μs η and η = mg.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have had answers -200 N, 98.1N, and 200N in which they are all incorrect. I have an idea it could be 0 N since the net force would have to be 0 since it is at rest and there is a static friction present but I am not sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
anon3005 said:

Homework Statement


A 10 kg rubber box is resting on a concrete floor. A force of 200 N is then applied to this box in a horizontal direction. What is the magnitude of the friction force on the box?

Homework Equations


This is a question about applying Newton's laws so Fsmax = μs η and η = mg.

The Attempt at a Solution


I have had answers -200 N, 98.1N, and 200N in which they are all incorrect. I have an idea it could be 0 N since the net force would have to be 0 since it is at rest and there is a static friction present but I am not sure.
What is the co-efficient of friction between rubber and concrete? Is that given? If not, I think you should look it up.
 
cnh1995 said:
What is the co-efficient of friction between rubber and concrete? Is that given? If not, I think you should look it up.

It's 1.00
 
Is the question asking about the friction force before it starts sliding, or after (assuming it slides)?
 
James R said:
Is the question asking about the friction force before it starts sliding, or after (assuming it slides)?
Given the coefficient of friction, it is safe to assume it slides.