Coefficient of friction homework problem

In summary, when a 10kg mass is released from rest on an incline with a 37 degree angle and a coefficient of friction of 0.4, the force of friction acting to oppose motion is 30N and the acceleration is 0.3m/s^2. This can be calculated by finding the normal force, which is 78N, and using F=ma to find the acceleration.
copyfilew

Homework Statement

A 10kg mass is released from rest and slides down an incline that makes an angle of 37degrees with the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 0.4 on the incline. Determine (a) the force of friction acting to oppose the motion, and (b) the acceleration

Homework Equations

Determine (a) the force of friction acting to oppose the motion, and (b) the acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew a free body diagram...

N = (m)(g)Cos(37)
N = 75

F = (0.4)(75)
= 30

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, correct so far. Find a.

I am getting normal force as 78.35 N

but your method is correct.

What about part b?

I agree with pooface. And that's the first time I have ever said that sentence! 78 N is better.

To be honest, I have no idea where to go from here. Any hints?

calculate the force acting down the slope. then you would the friction acting one way and the force the other way.

Subtract them and get the net force. Then you can use F=ma to find acceleration.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of force required to move an object over a surface. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the frictional force between two surfaces to the normal force pressing the surfaces together.

How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is typically calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object over a surface and dividing it by the weight of the object.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

Why is the coefficient of friction important in engineering and everyday life?

The coefficient of friction is an important concept in engineering as it helps in the design of machines and structures that require smooth movement and reduce wear and tear. In everyday life, it can help in understanding the behavior of objects on different surfaces, such as why a car can lose traction on a wet road.

How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery layer between the surfaces. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by polishing rough surfaces to make them smoother.