1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.20 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of v0 = 7.70 m/s. The block comes to rest after traveling 3.00 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal.

(a) For this motion, determine the change in the block's kinetic energy.

I got -154.154 (correct)

(b) For this motion, determine the change in potential energy of the block-Earth system.

I got 75.6 (correct)

(c) Determine the frictional force exerted on the block (assumed to be constant).

I got 26.18 (correct)

(d) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

However, I could not figure this out for the life of me. Please help with the kinetic friction?

2. Relevant equations

I think the coeff. can be found with f=μmgCosθ , however my answer keeps coming out wrong...

3. The attempt at a solution

after using the previous formula, I came out with a value of μ=3.327 (26.18=u(5.2)(9.81)(cos(30))

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    is the answer .59?

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    I dont understand how you get 3.327... coefficiant of friction isnt going to be more than 1

if you calculate what you have

(26.18=u(5.2)(9.81)(cos(30))

u get

26.18=44.13u

divide by 44.13
    =.59

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4
    oooooo haha, thank you sir, my calculator somehow reverted itself back to radians?

Thanks again!

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5
    no prob. you did all the hard work haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook