Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

In summary, a 5.20 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of 7.70 m/s. After traveling 3.00 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal, the block comes to rest. The change in kinetic energy is -154.154 and the change in potential energy of the block-Earth system is 75.6. The frictional force exerted on the block is 26.18, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.59.
yb1013

Homework Statement

A 5.20 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of v0 = 7.70 m/s. The block comes to rest after traveling 3.00 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal.

(a) For this motion, determine the change in the block's kinetic energy.

I got -154.154 (correct)

(b) For this motion, determine the change in potential energy of the block-Earth system.

I got 75.6 (correct)

(c) Determine the frictional force exerted on the block (assumed to be constant).

I got 26.18 (correct)

(d) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

However, I could not figure this out for the life of me. Please help with the kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

I think the coeff. can be found with f=μmgCosθ , however my answer keeps coming out wrong...

The Attempt at a Solution

after using the previous formula, I came out with a value of μ=3.327 (26.18=u(5.2)(9.81)(cos(30))

Physics news on Phys.org
is the answer .59?

I don't understand how you get 3.327... coefficiant of friction isn't going to be more than 1

if you calculate what you have

(26.18=u(5.2)(9.81)(cos(30))

u get

26.18=44.13u

divide by 44.13
=.59

oooooo haha, thank you sir, my calculator somehow reverted itself back to radians?

Thanks again!

yb1013 said:
oooooo haha, thank you sir, my calculator somehow reverted itself back to radians?

Thanks again!

no prob. you did all the hard work haha

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a numerical value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in motion. It is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no units.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is influenced by several factors, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of lubricants or other substances.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically measured by conducting experiments in which one surface is dragged or slid against another surface at a constant speed. The force required to maintain this motion is then divided by the weight of the object to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction.

What is the significance of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is an important value in understanding the physics of motion. It helps us predict the amount of force needed to overcome friction and maintain motion, and it is also used in engineering and design to ensure the safety and efficiency of machines and structures.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and set an object in motion.