Coefficients in the power series

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove a result on the coefficients of a power series and the sum of their absolute values. It is stated that this sum may equal infinity or converge depending on the function being considered. The conversation then shifts to discussing a different approach using Schwarz's lemma.
esisk
Hi,

I am trying to prove something, but I need some kind of a result on the coefficients of a power series.

Suppose f(z) has a power series expansion about zero (converges). What can I say about the sum of the absolute values of the coefficients? Ideally I would like to show this sum is less than 1.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\frac{1}{1 - x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n for \ all \ | x | < 1
[/tex]

If we denote a_n to be the coefficient of the nth term, then then a_n = 1 for all n, in which case,

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1 \rightarrow \infty
[/tex]

Or in the case when it does converge, consider:

[tex]
e^x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n!}
[/tex]

Letting x = 1, we'd be summing the coefficients, i.e.

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n!} = e
[/tex]

It seems your hypothesis fails.

Thank you L'Hospital, that is very clear

In light of L'Hospital's comment I need change my plan of of attack on the question. I think I need to state the question I was trying to prove:

If f(z) : D--->D where D is the open unit disk, and

the first (k-1) derivatives at zero vanish,

I would like to show that

If(z)I <= IzI^k Tha is abs{f(z)} \leq abs{z}^k

I believe one can (an the question is possibly intended to be solved this way) approach it using Schwarz, I was trying to do it by brute force whereby expanding the power series and saying
f(x)=z^k g(z) and somehow show that I g(z) I <= 1. I am failing as of now.
Any help? I thank you for your time

What are coefficients in the power series?

Coefficients in the power series are the numbers that are multiplied by each term in the series. For example, in the series 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + 4x^3, the coefficients are 1, 2, 3, and 4.

What is the significance of coefficients in the power series?

The coefficients in the power series are important because they determine the shape and behavior of the series. They can also provide information about the function that the series represents.

How do coefficients change as the power of x increases in a power series?

In a power series, as the power of x increases, the coefficients typically decrease in size. This can be seen in the power series expansion of common functions, such as e^x and sin(x).

What is the relationship between the coefficients and the rate of convergence in a power series?

The coefficients in a power series can affect the rate of convergence of the series. In general, the smaller the coefficients, the faster the series will converge. However, this is not always the case and it depends on the specific series and function being represented.

How are coefficients in the power series calculated?

The coefficients in a power series can be calculated using various methods, such as the binomial theorem or Taylor series expansion. These methods involve using the derivatives of the function to find the coefficients at each term in the series.