Coeficient of Kinectic friction question

• Thread starter Shanetm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the two students trying to move a piano found that the coefficient of kinetic friction was 0.2127.
Shanetm

Homework Statement

I am having trouble getting the answer for this one. The question is about two students moving a piano. The piano weighs 260kg and one student is pushing with 280N Forward and the other 340N Forward. The piano is accelerating at 0.30m/s^2 Forward.

They are asking for kinetic friction as well as how long it will take for the piano to stop moving after pushing it for 6.2 seconds from rest

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried adding the two students Newtons and then diving the weight of the piano (times gravity) which gives me 2548. Then I divide by the amount of Newtons the students are applying on the piano (Forward) which is 620N (combined) by 2548

The answer I get is around 0.24 for the coefficient of kinetic friction. The back of the book says 0.21. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, and possibly how I could go about finding the second part of the question. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the coefficient of frction you have to use also the acceleration 0.30...

well I got 0.21 as well, I guess make sure that you are using 9.8 for gravity not 10? I'm not sure what else it could be.

Try calculating it again, maybe you swapped 260 kg with 280 N and vice versa.

As for the second part, I believe there is an equation vfinal^2 - vinitial^2 = 2ad

where a is the acceleration and d is the distance.

dacruick said:
well I got 0.21 as well, I guess make sure that you are using 9.8 for gravity not 10? I'm not sure what else it could be.

Try calculating it again, maybe you swapped 260 kg with 280 N and vice versa.

As for the second part, I believe there is an equation vfinal^2 - vinitial^2 = 2ad

where a is the acceleration and d is the distance.

Ok, thanks. I will look into that!

Edit: Nevermind... I still keep getting 0.2433281 dividing 620 by 2548

Last edited:
Did you use the value 0.30 of tjhe acceleration to find the coefficient of ffriction. I did not see it in your explanation.

grzz said:
Did you use the value 0.30 of tjhe acceleration to find the coefficient of ffriction. I did not see it in your explanation.

No... I didnt. Where exactly would I use acceleration in the equasion? Thats probably exactly what I am missing

Use Fnet = ma for the piano.

First draw a FBD for the piano.
Which are the forces acting on the piano?

grzz said:
Use Fnet = ma for the piano.

First draw a FBD for the piano.
Which are the forces acting on the piano?

I think its applied force, gravity, normal force and friction

Correct.
Now use Fnet = ma.
then find the coefficient of friction and you get 0.2127.

Hmm... I wish I could tell you I got it, but to be honest I am just getting more frustrated. I guess I will have to wait till class and have it taken up.

I know you want me to figure it out on my own using the mathematical steps provided. But, I'm at the point I just want to see the question broken down step by step (like what to do with each number to show exactly how to get it)

But thanks, regardless

Last edited:
Fnet = ma

(280 + 340) - muN = ma

But N = mg

(280 + 340) - mumg = ma

(280 + 340) - mu260 x 9.8 = 260x0.30

grzz said:
Fnet = ma

(280 + 340) - muN = ma

But N = mg

(280 + 340) - mumg = ma

(280 + 340) - mu260 x 9.8 = 260x0.30

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance or friction that exists between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force required to keep an object in motion by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μk = Fk / Fn.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. What is the difference between coefficient of kinetic friction and coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction measures the resistance between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction measures the resistance between two surfaces that are stationary or not in motion.

5. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is used in various industries such as engineering, transportation, and sports to determine the amount of friction between surfaces and to design products that minimize friction and improve efficiency.