Coherent States of the Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, coherent states are mentioned as eigenfunctions of the annihilation operator. While individual |n\rangle states are not eigenstates, a linear combination of them can be defined as a state |\alpha\rangle. However, this trick does not work for the creation operator as its eigenfunctions are not normalizable.
tshafer
Alright, I'm sure I'm missing something extremely simple, but in Griffiths (and another text I'm reading) coherent states are mentioned as eigenfunctions of the annihilation operator.

I just don't understand:
a) how you can have an eigenfunction of the annihilation operator (other than |0>) if the whole point is it knocks you down a level from |n> to |n-1>

b) why the creation operator is described as not having ay eigenfunctions if you can have eigenfunctions of the annihilation operator

any help would be great, thanks!
tom

Physics news on Phys.org
tshafer said:
a) how you can have an eigenfunction of the annihilation operator (other than |0>) if the whole point is it knocks you down a level from |n> to |n-1>

An individual [itex]|n\rangle[/itex] state is obviously not an eigenstate (if [itex]n[/itex] is not zero), but a linear combination of them can be. Define a state [itex]|\alpha\rangle[/itex] as
[tex]|\alpha\rangle \equiv \sum_{n=0}^\infty{ \alpha^n\over\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle[/tex]
and act on it with the annihilation operator [itex]a[/itex]; using [itex]a|n\rangle=\sqrt{n}|n{-}1\rangle[/itex], we get
[tex]a|\alpha\rangle
= \sum_{n=0}^\infty{ \alpha^n\over\sqrt{n!}}\sqrt{n}|n{-}1\rangle
= \sum_{n=1}^\infty{ \alpha^n\over\sqrt{(n{-}1)!}}|n{-}1\rangle.[/tex]
Now replace [itex]n[/itex] with [itex]n{+}1[/itex], and we have
[tex]a|\alpha\rangle
= \sum_{n=0}^\infty{ \alpha^{n+1}\over\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle
= \alpha\sum_{n=0}^\infty{ \alpha^{n}\over\sqrt{n!}}|n\rangle
= \alpha|\alpha\rangle.[/tex]
tshafer said:
b) why the creation operator is described as not having any eigenfunctions if you can have eigenfunctions of the annihilation operator.

Well, the same trick doesn't work for the creation operator. Another way to do it is to work in the position basis, where [itex]a[/itex] becomes something like [itex]x+d/dx[/itex] (with various constants left out), and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] becomes something like [itex]x-d/dx[/itex]. The first has an eigenfunction [itex]\exp[-(x-\alpha)^2/2][/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\alpha[/itex], and the second has an eigenfunction [itex]\exp[+(x-\alpha)^2/2][/itex]. But this eigenfunction is not normalizable, so is not allowed.

Nice, that's a cute trick. I'll work through what you just said so I can get it for myself. Thanks!

1. What are coherent states of the harmonic oscillator?

Coherent states of the harmonic oscillator are a type of quantum state that is characterized by specific properties such as a well-defined amplitude and phase, as well as a minimum uncertainty in position and momentum. They are described by the Schrödinger equation and are used to model the behavior of oscillating systems, such as atoms and molecules.

2. How are coherent states different from other quantum states?

Unlike other quantum states, coherent states have a Gaussian probability distribution in both position and momentum space. This means that they have a well-defined center and spread in both position and momentum, making them ideal for studying the dynamics of oscillating systems.

3. What is the significance of coherent states in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states have several important applications in quantum mechanics. They are used to model the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as in the study of quantum optics and quantum computing. They also play a crucial role in the study of quantum measurement and decoherence.

4. How are coherent states related to classical mechanics?

Coherent states are often referred to as "quantum versions" of classical states because they exhibit similar properties to classical oscillators. In the classical limit, coherent states behave like classical harmonic oscillators, making them a useful tool for studying the connection between classical and quantum mechanics.

5. How are coherent states created in experiments?

Coherent states can be created in experiments using a variety of techniques, such as laser cooling and trapping, or by using special quantum states of light known as squeezed states. These techniques allow for the precise control and manipulation of quantum systems, making coherent states an important tool for studying the behavior of complex quantum systems.