Coil loop with a magnet through it produces AC or DC?

In summary, a toroid coil would have no net current because the flux changes along the length of the coil, but local eddy currents would still be present.
Salvador
Here is my misunderstanding , for the example let's ignore resistance losses , say i have a infinite length of coil , and an infinite strip of magnets passing through that coil, each magnet separated by some distance from the next one , the strip of magnets move through the middle of the coil , what kind of current I would get out of the coil , AC or DC?
I understand that when a magnet approaches a coil and goes past it it creates AC since the field gets stringer and then gradually decreases , but here the flux changes along the length of the coil but overall the magnet never approaches the coil itself nor leaves it.

a similar situation could be modeled by using a toroid coil and a strip of magnets rotating inside the coil.

Physics news on Phys.org
you would have no net current, you would only have local eddy currents. just think about an infinitely long magnetic rod inside the coil, there can never be any flux change because the set up is invariant under translations of an infinite magnet. it's clear if you cut a chunk out of the middle, you still would have no net current. if you consider the long rod with the gap to be moving to the left, then the net flux through a surface at the midpoint between the gap would be 0 because one end of the magnet is contributing to a decreasing magnetic field to the left and the other end is contributing to an increasing magnetic field to the left. it's clear that any 2 surfaces symmetrically placed on either side of this initial surface will create equal current in opposite direction so that the net current would be 0, but you would have local eddy currents. the same thing applies when you have these gaps equally spaced along the entire infinitely long magnet

ok I understand that's about the infinite coil matter, but what happens in a toridally shaped coil? where the end of the coil meets the start , and a magnet rotates inside the coil , there should be induction?

What is a coil loop with a magnet through it?

A coil loop with a magnet through it refers to a simple electrical circuit in which a wire is formed into a loop and a magnet is placed inside the loop. This creates a magnetic field that can induce an electric current in the wire when the magnet is moved.

How does a coil loop with a magnet through it produce electricity?

As the magnet moves through the coil loop, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the wire, producing electricity.

What is the difference between AC and DC produced by a coil loop with a magnet through it?

AC, or alternating current, is produced when the magnet is moved back and forth through the coil loop, causing the current to flow in both directions. DC, or direct current, is produced when the magnet is moved in only one direction through the coil loop, causing the current to flow in one direction.

How is a coil loop with a magnet through it used in real life?

Coil loops with magnets are commonly used in generators to produce electricity. The movement of the magnet through the coil loop creates the necessary changing magnetic field to generate electricity.

Can a coil loop with a magnet through it be used to power devices?

Yes, coil loops with magnets can be used to power devices by connecting them to the circuit and using the electricity produced by the changing magnetic field. This is how generators are used to power homes and other buildings.