Two magnetic fields interacting in single core?

In summary, the conversation discusses a toroidal transformer with two coils, one connected to a DC source and the other with a needle in the center. The question is whether the two magnetic fields created by the coils will interact and cause the needle to turn. It is determined that the fields will not cause the needle to spin in circles, but rather align with the combined field. Further discussion explores the concept of toroidal solenoids and the direction of the magnetic field in the torus.
Salvador
tank-coil-large.jpg
I have a question that I can't figure out , there is a toroidal transformer , and the core has an attached part on which another coil is wound. the main coil of the toroidal transformer is connected to a DC source. which creates a static magnetic field in the torus core. the other coil at the side is also attached to DC source. it now has one pole going into the torus while the other pole flux lines are directed with a metal path towards a turning needle in the center of the torus , theoretically the flux through the needle should find its way through the airgap into the torus where the other pole of the side coil is located.
Will it do so?

in other words can these two magnetic fields interact with each other , I mean what would happen with the needle in the middle would it start to turn around because as it would try to align with the other pole of the side coil the current in the main torus coils would set up a magnetic field that would push the needle sideways ?

I would be thankful if someone could explain this situation to me , especially about the case I presented here .
I attached a picture for better understanding.

thank you.https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/85038

Physics news on Phys.org
Which flux through the needle? The core will confine the magnetic field mainly to the core.
The second circuit is closed only if you attach the needle to the core somehow. There is nothing that would interact with each other.

let me put it like this,
well when the yellow coil is energized it would create two poles one would enter the torus the other is given path to the needle , the needle should then align pointing towards the yellow coil as the magnetic flux is trying to align where there is least resistance , like in reluctance motors ,
now once the needle would align towards the part where the yellow coil is , I switch on the other DC source to the big coil wrapped around the torus itself , what happens now?
to my mind since the wires on the torus all go one direction in the inside window , shouldn't those two magnetic fields interact? , since the yellow coil has one of its poles attached to the torus the whole torus now is basically one pole and the other extends through the needle and points to the torus but since the wires around the torus have a perpendicular field isn't there now a force exerted on the needle that kinda pushes it around now, like in a motor ?

I think the fields are static and they just "combine" forces, so the needle will not "spin around in circles" it will just align to the combined field.

surely it would align if there was just the yellow side coil, but since there is also the main coil on the torus , how could it align , i searched and came up with the fact that toridal solenoids/windings don't have clear N-S poles rather it resembles a continuous stream of flux lines pointing in one direction (DC case) so the inner side of the torus has these wires going in one direction so the needle should be continously pushed around ? I am kinda puzzled , please give your feedback, thank you.

Any more thoughts , anyone ?

https://www.physicsforums.com/members/jerromyjon.528145/

P.S. somehow the text turned in blue surely that shouldn't be anything bad.

Yes, the built in AI of this forum must have figured you were up to doing something devious! :nb)
(Most likely what really happened is you accidentally hit some combination of keys and the blue text is the result.)

On your original post I'm no expert, but I think things would settle into some overall shaped magnetic field, and the needle would end up aligned with the direction in which the field is most dense.

1. What happens when two magnetic fields interact in a single core?

When two magnetic fields interact in a single core, the resulting magnetic field will be a combination of the two individual fields. This is known as the superposition principle, where the resulting field is the sum of the individual fields.

2. Can two magnetic fields cancel each other out in a single core?

Yes, it is possible for two magnetic fields to cancel each other out in a single core. This occurs when the two fields are equal in strength but opposite in direction, resulting in a net magnetic field of zero.

3. How do the strength and direction of the individual magnetic fields affect the resulting field in a single core?

The strength and direction of the individual magnetic fields will determine the strength and direction of the resulting field in a single core. If the fields are in the same direction, the resulting field will be stronger. If they are in opposite directions, the resulting field will be weaker.

4. What factors can affect the interaction of two magnetic fields in a single core?

The strength and direction of the individual fields, the distance between the fields, and the properties of the material in the core can all affect the interaction of two magnetic fields in a single core. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and electrical current can also impact the interaction.

5. What are some real-world applications of two magnetic fields interacting in a single core?

One common application is in transformers, where two magnetic fields interact in a single core to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. This can also be seen in electric motors, generators, and many other electronic devices that use magnetic fields for energy conversion and transfer.