Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4,104 replies · 526K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
This is actually not true, hence only partially funny. The masks protect others, not oneself. So wearing no mask is like speeding on the highway. People risk other people's lives. Not a new phenomenon.gmax137 said:I saw a new one (well, it is new to me):
Remember the seat-belt campaign, "Click it or Ticket?"
for CoVid
"Mask it or Casket"
- 19,385
- 15,622
- 19,385
- 15,622
- 19,385
- 15,622
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
We had a choice of channel 4 (NBC), 7 (ABC), or 9 (CBS). Oh, and on UHF26 we could see Julia Child, "the French Chef" but adjusting the round antenna to get the picture meant only static for the sound, and vice versa.phinds said:
- 19,385
- 15,622
I had to move some money from my brokerage account to my bank today and was reminded of the thought I had the first time I had to make such a transfer about 20 years ago (and every time since).
Money COULD be transferred at nearly the speed of light but in the world we live in it's transferred at the speed of bureaucracy.
Money COULD be transferred at nearly the speed of light but in the world we live in it's transferred at the speed of bureaucracy.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,739
fresh_42 said:gmax137 said:I saw a new one (well, it is new to me):
Remember the seat-belt campaign, "Click it or Ticket?"
for CoVid
"Mask it or Casket"
This is actually not true, hence only partially funny. The masks protect others, not oneself. So wearing no mask is like speeding on the highway. People risk other people's lives. Not a new phenomenon.
There's nothing in the phrase that prohibits the casket in question being somebody else's.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, there is. It suggests a symmetry which isn't there. Thus the pun relies on false assumptions.collinsmark said:There's nothing in the phrase that prohibits the casket in question being somebody else's.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,739
fresh_42 said:It suggests a symmetry
No it doesn't.
It's pretty simple. Wear a mask so people are less likely to die. Mask it or casket. Simple.
etotheipi
- 19,385
- 15,622
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,692
- 9,083
My buddies and I saw a White Lamborghini drive past us once.etotheipi said:
We noted that the only time we've ever seen a red Lambo is when it was driving away from us.
And the only time we've ever seen a blue Lambo, it was heading toward us.
etotheipi
DaveC426913 said:We noted that the only time we've ever seen a red Lambo is when it was driving away from us. And the only time we've ever seen a blue Lambo, it was heading toward us.
Most of the time I can’t even remember if I’ve had breakfast yet, let alone the directions of motion of cars I’ve passed on the road
- 19,385
- 15,622
Yes, but your breakfast doesn't red shift or blue shift (unless of course your are eating on the runetotheipi said:Most of the time I can’t even remember if I’ve had breakfast yet, let alone the directions of motion of cars I’ve passed on the road![]()
- 13,923
- 16,801
I know a car enthusiast who has a Lamborghini LM002. Apparently, if you drive carefully, you can get 10 mpg out of it.DaveC426913 said:My buddies and I saw a White Lamborghini drive past us once.
- 13,923
- 16,801
I dunno. I could sometimes come close to red shifting (or blue shifting, from my perspective) my food when I was in my teens and growing.phinds said:Yes, but your breakfast doesn't red shift or blue shift (unless of course your are eating on the run)
Mentor
- 37,536
- 14,418
Not even tanks need that much fuel. They need something of the order of 1 liter per kilometer. Whatever that might be in weird inverted units.
- 20,819
- 28,467
7.2 Leopard 2, Abram twice as much.mfb said:Not even tanks need that much fuel. They need something of the order of 1 liter per kilometer. Whatever that might be in weird inverted units.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,692
- 9,083
That would be ... 1 kilometer per liter...mfb said:...1 liter per kilometer. Whatever that might be in weird inverted units.

Mentor
- 37,536
- 14,418
That's regular, inverted units, not weird, inverted units.
- 13,923
- 16,801
Town or long distance driving? Idling at the traffic lights wrecks your fuel consumption.mfb said:Not even tanks need that much fuel.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,328
A very funny article:
(n.b. some foul words in one quote, but apart from that, it's no foul language)
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Turing_Duck_Test
Turing Duck Test flowchart:
(n.b. some foul words in one quote, but apart from that, it's no foul language)
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Turing_Duck_Test
Turing Duck Test flowchart:
- 13,923
- 16,801
A lot of fowl language, though.DennisN said:A very funny article:
(n.b. some foul words in one quote, but apart from that, it's no foul language)
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Turing_Duck_Test
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
They missed out the final test: Does the quack have an echo? If yes, it's not a duck.DennisN said:A very funny article:
(n.b. some foul words in one quote, but apart from that, it's no foul language)
https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Turing_Duck_Test
A reference to the once-popular myth that a duck's quack does not echo. Anyone who knows anything about physics ought to recognise that is nonsense.
Similar threads
Collection of Science Fiction jokes
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
Are science jokes fundamentally accurate?
- pivoxa15
- · Replies 36 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 36