Mentor
- 8,478
- 5,700
I once tried to get a comment published. Reading this brought back bad feelingsmfb said:
I once tried to get a comment published. Reading this brought back bad feelingsmfb said:
Really egregious papers sometimes get retracted.DrClaude said:I once tried to get a comment published. Reading this brought back bad feelings
The Origin of GENETICS
Read “The Origin of GENETICS,” an editorial from the journal’s Editor in Chief, Howard Lipshitz, that traces the founding of the journal to Thomas Hunt Morgan and a rebuffed presubmission inquiry.
» academic.oup.com
So, what did Bateson have to do with this? Well, in 1914 Morgan had written to Bateson enquiring whether Bateson thought the Journal of Genetics an appropriate venue for publication of one of Sturtevant’s manuscripts. Bateson's reply was: “None of us is in the least likely to take the matter up [the Chromosome Theory], and we think the publication of the paper in Jour. Gen. would merely look odd...It seems more dignified to keep each to our own ground – send it to Baur or one of your own journals. Why not? We all see these things.” (https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript%3A;). Erwin Baur was the founder and managing editor of the first European genetics journal, established in 1908, Zeitschrift für induktive Abstammungs-und Vererbungslehre, which is where Sturtevant subsequently published his detailed study of linkage and chromosomes (https://www.physicsforums.com/javascript%3A;). Ed Lewis, who must have heard it from Sturtevant, his Ph.D. supervisor, related that Morgan was so incensed at Bateson’s response that he initiated establishment of GENETICS (E. B. Lewis, personal communication); the initial Editorial Board comprised ten eminent geneticists, including Morgan himself. In due course, Bridges' paper was submitted to GENETICS and, as described above, appeared on Page 1 of the first issue.
At what temperature isDennisN said:Finland

Wiki says you don't:mfb said:I only post using recycled electrons.
... or at least can't be sure.According to the theory accepted today, the processes for the formation of the first atomic nuclei could begin about a hundredth of a second after the Big Bang. At this point in time, the universe had cooled down so much that the quarks previously present as plasma condensed into protons and neutrons in a ratio of 1: 1.
If neutrons were generated directly from the quark soup without creating electrons first, then any beta decay would create an electron which hasn't been in a separate state before, and you cannot know whether you use one of those.mfb said:How is the quote relevant?
All the electrons have been used in other processes before.
One fellow protested his electric bill on the grounds he had returned every electron they had sent him.mfb said:I only post using recycled electrons.
mfb only joked that his/her/their posts use recycled electrons.mfb said:I only post using recycled electrons.
I had to research that:Klystron said:exhaled air molecules circle the globe
My first reaction upon reading the recycled electron joke concerned the one True Cross myths but the holy handkerchief belief appeared more accessible to atheists and other nonbelievers; i.e., air molecules.Keith_McClary said:I had to research that:
every time I take a breath I inhale a molecule of the air that Christ exhaled as he died.
In the same way, every glass of water has some of the H20 in Thomas Jefferson's urine. Feel free to pick some other historical figure if you prefer. And of course we are assuming thorough mixing.Keith_McClary said:I had to research that:
every time I take a breath I inhale a molecule of the air that Christ exhaled as he died.
JT Smith said:In the same way, every glass of water has some of the H20 in Thomas Jefferson's urine. Feel free to pick some other historical figure if you prefer. And of course we are assuming thorough mixing.
Heh, I was about to say: "...and also a molecule from Judas Iscariot's farts...", but I see @Bandersnatch got in first with something similar.Keith_McClary said:

Perplexingly, I have recurring dreams in which I can move through walls like this. I often wonder what they mean?docnet said:

I once had the chance to experience a virtual reality (VR) system which allowed you to walk around the real room you were in, as a means of walking round the virtual room that you could see and hear via the VR headset. In this system you could walk through a virtual wall and find yourself outside the virtual building floating 15 feet above the virtual ground. I found this a little scary and I felt paralysed and unable to walk forwards even though I was well aware that I was experiencing an illusion.strangerep said:Perplexingly, I have recurring dreams in which I can move through walls like this. I often wonder what they mean?![]()
That doesn't make any sense?fresh_42 said:If neutrons were generated directly from the quark soup without creating electrons first, then any beta decay would create an electron which hasn't been in a separate state before, and you cannot know whether you use one of those.