Collections, oddities, and quirks

• Thread starter Darken-Sol
  • Start date
In summary: I have lots of rocks ... so much better than souvenir spoons :confused:.Yeah and keychains LOL That's so cool you do this too :D
Darken-Sol
i have a weird habit of collecting unique things. for example if you come to my house you'll find none of my dishes match, every thing is different even the silver ware. no two things are from the same set. not just anything will do though, it has to call out to me. people give me gifts which i usually rigift or break. other things include a knight from an old chess set, a christmas tree eraser, and some tangled wires i found roughly the shape of a person.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty cool Darken-Sol

its weirder than i thought, apparently i am the only collector here.

If it makes you feel any better I collect rocks and dirt and sometimes leaves from the places I travel to and even locally. When people travel I sometimes ask them to bring me back rocks, and others travel and bring me back rocks without me asking lol Sometimes people find rocks and give them to me because they think I'll like them. But I don't think that's really so weird...maybe I'm not the best to judge.

HeLiXe said:
If it makes you feel any better I collect rocks and dirt and sometimes leaves from the places I travel to and even locally. When people travel I sometimes ask them to bring me back rocks, and others travel and bring me back rocks without me asking lol Sometimes people find rocks and give them to me because they think I'll like them. But I don't think that's really so weird...maybe I'm not the best to judge.

oh and i collect rocks too, and drift wood. i found a huge chunk of steel in the road and took that too.

I had to go here for geology class
4780820899_a1abb62871.jpg

but it is a state park and you can't take anything so it would be like torture to you. SO MUCH driftwood!

i already see some that i want

I've always wanted an amethyst geode. I know a couple of places where I can buy one, but it would be so much better if I can get one from its natural environment :)

HeLiXe said:
I've always wanted an amethyst geode. I know a couple of places where I can buy one, but it would be so much better if I can get one from its natural environment :)

i dug up a (quartz?) chrystal in a hillside but it crumbled like sand.

that happened to me at the same place, it was not crystal but it looked like a sedimentary rock, when I applied pressure to it, it crumbled like sand. I also got two little watering pots from an old couple before and they turned out to be sterling silver. And I found this cute green pot that turned out to be brass I think lol

HeLiXe said:

Omg, I do that too :smile:! I have lots of rocks...so much better than souvenir spoons :confused:.

Yeah and keychains LOL That's so cool you do this too :D

We got a box of 48 rocks for geology class. When I opened it my heart was racing and I had to close it to focus on the assignment LOL

I was also into rocks ... :biggrin:

i forgot about containers, i love em. maybe i collect stuff so i can fill the containers I've collected.

1. What are "collections" in the context of science?

In science, collections refer to a group of objects or specimens that have been systematically gathered, studied, and preserved for research purposes. This can include anything from biological specimens to artifacts and documents.

2. What are "oddities" in the scientific world?

Oddities are unique or unusual objects or phenomena that do not fit into traditional scientific categories. These can include rare or abnormal specimens, unexpected findings, or anomalies that challenge current scientific understanding.

3. What is the importance of studying collections, oddities, and quirks?

Studying collections, oddities, and quirks can provide valuable insights and information for scientific research. They can help us understand the diversity of life, identify patterns and trends, and uncover new discoveries that can lead to advancements in various fields of science.

4. How are collections, oddities, and quirks typically preserved and displayed?

Collections, oddities, and quirks are typically preserved and displayed in museums, research institutions, and private collections. They are often stored in controlled environments, such as temperature and humidity-controlled rooms, and displayed in cases or exhibits for public viewing.

5. Can anyone contribute to collections, oddities, and quirks in the scientific community?

Yes, anyone can contribute to collections, oddities, and quirks in the scientific community. This can include scientists, researchers, collectors, and even the general public. Many institutions and organizations welcome donations and contributions to expand their collections and further scientific knowledge.