College Admissions with an IEP: What You Need to Know in Arizona

• Schools
  • Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the individual had an IEP for a learning disability in math during high school, but was otherwise in mainstream education and passed all state-required tests. They are concerned about the impact of their IEP on college admissions, but there are two possibilities: if applying for a math-intensive degree, it may negatively affect their chances unless they have demonstrated their ability to overcome their disability, but for other degrees, the individual's story may be inspiring and help them gain admission. They also have a high GPA of 3.6/4.0. They are unsure if they have a special education diploma or a regular high school diploma, and mention that each state has different laws regarding disabilities and education. They may need
FishmanGeertz
In high school, I had an IEP (individualized education plan) for a learning disability solely in mathematical comprehension. If I try to apply to a college or any post-secondary institution, will this negatively affect my chances of being admitted?

ALL of my other classes were mainstream education, and I passed all of the state-required tests. I was in special education solely for math during the last two years of my HS career. Will a college reject me for being an IEP?

Also, how do I know if I have a special education diploma, or a regular HS diploma?

If it helps any, I live in Arizona, and each state has different laws regarding disabilities and education.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two possibilities, I assume:

If you are applying for a math-intensive degree, that may not go too well unless you've demonstrated your triumph over your condition. If you have, it will go better than usual.

If you are applying for any other degree, I think the story will be inspiring and help you gain entry into a college of your choice.

tedbradly said:
There are two possibilities, I assume:

If you are applying for a math-intensive degree, that may not go too well unless you've demonstrated your triumph over your condition. If you have, it will go better than usual.

If you are applying for any other degree, I think the story will be inspiring and help you gain entry into a college of your choice.

Other than physics, science, and engineering, I don't think any of the other studies are very math-intensive. Although I may need to be tutored in algebra, geometry, and the other areas of math which deeply confuse me.

I graduated with a high GPA, about a 3.6

Last edited:

Related to College Admissions with an IEP: What You Need to Know in Arizona

What is an IEP?

An IEP stands for Individualized Education Plan. It is a legally binding document that outlines the specific needs and accommodations for a student with a disability in an educational setting.

Do I need to disclose my IEP during the college admissions process?

Yes, it is important to disclose your IEP during the college admissions process. This will allow the admissions team to understand your specific needs and provide appropriate accommodations.

What type of accommodations can I expect with an IEP in college?

The accommodations for college students with an IEP may include extended time on exams, note-taking assistance, and access to assistive technology. However, the specific accommodations will vary depending on your individual needs and the policies of the college you are attending.

Will having an IEP affect my chances of getting into college?

No, having an IEP will not affect your chances of getting into college. Colleges are not allowed to discriminate against students with disabilities and must provide equal opportunities for admission and education.

How can I ensure that my IEP is followed in college?

It is important to communicate with the disability services office at your college. They will work with you to make sure your accommodations are in place and to address any concerns or issues that may arise during your time at the college.