1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College Decision for Transfer

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1

EP

The choice has come down to Univ. of Arizona or Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on these schools. I live in Maryland so UA would be a hassle, but I think it is really cool school with a million things to do. It has many observatories in the area and alot of research going on at the university. UMBC seems nice but I just dont get as excited about it as do with UA, maybe its because I'm from MD. I like the idea of it being a research university. I am a physics major and want to get a astronomy minor or possbly double major. I dont expect anyone to make a decision for me but any old comments you may have about the schools would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    UA pwns in astronomy and astrophysics. I've heard that it gets more NASA grants for space exploration than any other university...

What are you interested in anyway? Is there any way you could visit?

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3

EP

Currently I'm interested in everything from quantum mechanics to astrophysics. I really want to apply my physics to space exploration. The research is one of the reasons why UA sounds so appealing. I was thinking of visting but its a big trip so its take alot of planning. I guess I was wondering if the physics department there is good as its research is? I dont want to sacrifice the education for research.

5. Mar 21, 2006 #4

EP

Maybe a better question would be to ask what things people really loved in there own college experience? Things that they thought were essential to there success or things that just made them love there school. Then maybe I could look for some of these important aspects in my choice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?