Choosing Between UA and UMBC: Insights from College Experience

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to decide between the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland Baltimore County. They are interested in studying physics and possibly astronomy. The University of Arizona is known for its research in astronomy and has many opportunities for space exploration. The student is also interested in visiting the campus, but it would require a lot of planning. They are seeking advice on what factors are important for a successful and enjoyable college experience.
EP
The choice has come down to Univ. of Arizona or Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on these schools. I live in Maryland so UA would be a hassle, but I think it is really cool school with a million things to do. It has many observatories in the area and a lot of research going on at the university. UMBC seems nice but I just don't get as excited about it as do with UA, maybe its because I'm from MD. I like the idea of it being a research university. I am a physics major and want to get a astronomy minor or possbly double major. I don't expect anyone to make a decision for me but any old comments you may have about the schools would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
UA pwns in astronomy and astrophysics. I've heard that it gets more NASA grants for space exploration than any other university...

What are you interested in anyway? Is there any way you could visit?

Currently I'm interested in everything from quantum mechanics to astrophysics. I really want to apply my physics to space exploration. The research is one of the reasons why UA sounds so appealing. I was thinking of visting but its a big trip so its take a lot of planning. I guess I was wondering if the physics department there is good as its research is? I don't want to sacrifice the education for research.

Maybe a better question would be to ask what things people really loved in there own college experience? Things that they thought were essential to there success or things that just made them love there school. Then maybe I could look for some of these important aspects in my choice.

What is the process for transferring to a new college?

The process for transferring to a new college typically involves researching potential schools, completing an application, submitting transcripts and other required documents, and potentially attending an interview. Students should also consider factors such as transfer credit policies, housing options, and financial aid opportunities.

How do I know if a college is a good fit for me?

There are several factors to consider when determining if a college is a good fit for you. These may include the academic programs offered, location, size of the campus and student body, extracurricular activities, and overall campus culture. It is also important to visit the campus and talk to current students and faculty to get a better sense of the school's atmosphere.

What is the difference between a private and public college?

The main difference between private and public colleges is their funding sources. Public colleges are funded by state governments and typically have lower tuition costs for in-state students. Private colleges, on the other hand, are funded by private sources and often have higher tuition costs. Other differences may include class sizes, campus resources, and overall academic rigor.

Can I transfer my credits to a new college?

In most cases, yes, you can transfer credits to a new college. However, the specific transfer credit policies may vary between schools. It is important to research the transfer credit policies of the schools you are considering and speak with an academic advisor to determine which credits will transfer and how they will count towards your degree program.

Do I need to declare a major when transferring to a new college?

It depends on the college's policies. Some colleges may require you to declare a major when applying for transfer, while others may allow you to explore different majors before declaring. It is important to research the policies of the schools you are considering and determine what will work best for your academic and career goals.