Choosing the Right College for Aerospace Engineering: RPI, WPI, or PSU?

In summary, RPI has the most customizable curriculum, PSU is good but not great, and PennState is tough but very rewarding.
aeroeng212
Hi-

I'm a senior in high school and am planning to go to school for aerospace engineering. I've been trying to decide what college would be best for me. Specifically, I'm looking at three main colleges...

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
Worcestor Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
Pennsylvannia State University (PSU)

I was wondering if anyone knew specifically about any of these school's aerospace engineering programs (if one is "better" than the other, etc.)?

Thanks for any help! :rofl:

-aeroeng212

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an aerospace engineering student at PSU, but I can't tell you if it's better than the other programs you listed. If you have any specific questions about PSU's, I can try to answer those for you. :)

Hey z-component!
How long have you been at PennState?
What is your main area of concentration- aeronautics or astronautics?
I was wondering, how "customizable" is the aerospace engineering curriculum at PennState? (Can I pick and choose many of the courses I take, or is it pretty set already?)

I've been there for a little over a year now (am now a sophomore). At the moment, I'm not specialized in anything yet, since I'm still completing my core engineering classes, but when I get the opportunity, I'll be choosing aeronautics. The curriculum is not overly customizable, but you're required to take electives that expose you to different things.

Here is the Program Guide (PDF): http://www.aero.psu.edu/undergrads/UG_Curriculum_Guide_2006-07.pdf

When you specialize, you take the design sequence and control course for your area ( spacecraft or aircraft), but you're required to take both astro and aero courses regardless of your specialization. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I go to none of the 3 mentioned colleges, but I visited Rensselaer, and I can say it looked nice. I haven't seen the entire aerospace engineering classroom/lab area, but have heard good things about it.

I've also heard it's a tough school, but rewarding in that the research you can do is beneficial. I think they have chat sessions with current students every once in a while: I remember signing into one once and getting to talk with a student. Of course a personal visit is always better.

1. What are the main differences between RPI, WPI, and PSU for aerospace engineering?

Each of these universities offer excellent programs in aerospace engineering, but there are some key differences to consider. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) is a larger university with a strong focus on research, while Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is known for its project-based learning approach. Penn State University (PSU) has a larger aerospace engineering program with a variety of specializations to choose from.

2. Which university has the best job placement for aerospace engineering graduates?

All three universities have strong job placement rates for their aerospace engineering graduates, so it ultimately depends on the individual's qualifications and networking skills. However, RPI and WPI have dedicated career centers and strong connections with industry partners, which may provide more opportunities for job placement.

3. Are there any notable alumni from these universities in the aerospace industry?

Yes, all three universities have produced successful alumni in the aerospace industry. Some notable alumni include RPI's Laurie Leshin, the first female president of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and PSU's Charlie Bolden, a former astronaut and administrator of NASA.

4. Which university has the best resources for aerospace engineering students?

All three universities have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for aerospace engineering students. RPI and WPI have dedicated research centers and labs, while PSU has a strong partnership with the Applied Research Laboratory for advanced research opportunities.

5. How do the tuition costs compare between these universities for aerospace engineering?

The tuition costs for these universities vary, with RPI being the most expensive and WPI and PSU being more affordable. However, financial aid and scholarships are available at all three universities, so it's important to consider the overall cost after factoring in potential financial assistance.