1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College decision

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1

I'm a senior in high school and am planning to go to school for aerospace engineering. I've been trying to decide what college would be best for me. Specifically, I'm looking at three main colleges...

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)
    Worcestor Polytechnic Institute (WPI)
    Pennsylvannia State University (PSU)

I was wondering if anyone knew specifically about any of these school's aerospace engineering programs (if one is "better" than the other, etc.)?

Thanks for any help! :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2
    I'm an aerospace engineering student at PSU, but I can't tell you if it's better than the other programs you listed. If you have any specific questions about PSU's, I can try to answer those for you. :)
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    Hey z-component!
    How long have you been at PennState?
    What is your main area of concentration- aeronautics or astronautics?
    I was wondering, how "customizable" is the aerospace engineering curriculum at PennState? (Can I pick and choose many of the courses I take, or is it pretty set already?)
  5. Aug 7, 2007 #4
    I've been there for a little over a year now (am now a sophomore). At the moment, I'm not specialized in anything yet, since I'm still completing my core engineering classes, but when I get the opportunity, I'll be choosing aeronautics. The curriculum is not overly customizable, but you're required to take electives that expose you to different things.

Here is the Program Guide (PDF): http://www.aero.psu.edu/undergrads/UG_Curriculum_Guide_2006-07.pdf

When you specialize, you take the design sequence and control course for your area (spacecraft or aircraft), but you're required to take both astro and aero courses regardless of your specialization. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  6. Aug 7, 2007 #5
    Well I go to none of the 3 mentioned colleges, but I visited Rensselaer, and I can say it looked nice. I haven't seen the entire aerospace engineering classroom/lab area, but have heard good things about it.

I've also heard it's a tough school, but rewarding in that the research you can do is beneficial. I think they have chat sessions with current students every once in a while: I remember signing into one once and getting to talk with a student. Of course a personal visit is always better.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?