Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College guys and cologne

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[rant]
    I am so sick of getting headaches in class from guys who are practically bathed in cologne. Geez! Can't they smell themselves? I just don't get it. And why do they always run in late and then sit near me? Ugh! it's really annoying if they do this during exams. Once I even got up and moved. :yuck:

There was a time when young men wore very little cologne - it was considered girly - now they walk into class in a thick cloud of nose-prickling, head-clogging perfume. It's ten times stronger that what the girls wear. These guys are in every class I have, and they reek!! :grumpy:

Guys - know when to say when, ok? Let someone else smell you if you are not sure.
    [/rant]

Thank you for your attention. That is all.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2
    I think its because your in LA. No guys in my classes wear cologne like that. :rofl: We all dress like bums because theres never any girls in the class anyways so we dont care about stuff like that. :rofl:

4. Jul 24, 2007 #3
    The only thing worse than a ton of cologne is when they spray a can of axe on themselves. It's what every single high school freshmen locker room smells like. Four years ago, when I was a freshmen, I remember people placing objects on the cans of spray so that they would spray until they were out. GUUHHHHH!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!

5. Jul 24, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How early must they get up to get all dressed up for lectures? I was all about getting up at the last possible minute and grabbing whatever clothes were closest on my floor. Although, my classes were like cyrus'-- little to no females so it didn't really matter anyway!

6. Jul 24, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats annoying with anyone who wears too much aftershave or perfume. Theres something in them and air fresheners that gives me a headache.

7. Jul 24, 2007 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I all ways dab a little wd40 behind my ears.

8. Jul 24, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I have a (potentially life-threatening) sensitivity to fragrance chemicals that causes respiratory distress, migraines, and severe pain due to inflammation flaring up my arthritis. Most disturbing is severe acute hypertension that may result in a fatal aneurysm or stroke. I cannot be in the presence of people whose clothes are washed in scented detergents or dried with scented fabric softeners. People who are puzzled about the rise in ADD and asthma among children should consider that these little humans have immune systems and neurological systems that are still developing, and they are expected to breathe a chemical soup in every classroom, and often in their homes.

9. Jul 24, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe that's the problem-- too many cute chicks at this school. And they're all over the place, in every major. The summer heat isn't helping things either. It makes the cologne extra intense. I just wish the cute girls would clue these guys in that they stink to high heaven. I'd much rather be in one of Cyrus's tuna-fish lunch lectures than this torment.

Geez! That sounds like how I flea bomb my apartment. (except I think RAID uses slightly less toxic chemicals than Axe. :biggrin:)

10. Jul 24, 2007 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

RAID flea spray with country fresh scent is now my perfume of choice. Now not only do I smell great, I am flea free. :approve: You don't mind inhaling the pyrethrins at all.

11. Jul 24, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, that's OK. That's manly! :wink:

I really wish they would make a rule about it. I've heard that some restaurants have rules about perfume, and some workplaces do, too.

I am really about ready to slip this one guy a note!!

12. Jul 24, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl: Now that will give you a nice little buzz, as well!

13. Jul 24, 2007 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Great idea-- but do it in a way that he thinks you're giving him your number or something. (Am I evil? :devil:)

14. Jul 24, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No thats about right. You want to make a proper job of these things.

15. Jul 24, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice one, cristo. I like your devious mind. :approve:

16. Jul 24, 2007 #15

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most places in Halifax Nova-Scotia are scent free and the university I attend is scent free.

the only problem is that a scent free environment makes you hypersensitive to any time of smell. For example, I know when the girls in the lab wash their because I can smell the shampoo from a good distance.

17. Jul 24, 2007 #16

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have this theory that all the world's problems stem from the fact that people can't smell themselves...I have yet to submit it to Independent Research, but here's some nice supporting evidence.:biggrin:

18. Jul 24, 2007 #17
    I wonder what concentrations of VOCs are in there general area from such a high dosage of chemicals? That might be a way to tell them they have too much of the stuff on. FHMOOMP!

19. Jul 25, 2007 #18

radou

Homework Helper

Again, nothing more than a lack of good taste, that's all.

20. Jul 25, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It has to be an L.A. phenomenon. Students here look about the same as they did when I was a student...it's about all they can do to get up and get their hair brushed and throw on a pair of sweats before showing up for class (and you know the hair brushing failed when they wear a cap instead). Thankfully, I have not encountered too many cologne bathers here...male or female.

Maybe the note you slip him should read something like, "You're not going to attract any women if your cologne gives them a headache anytime they try to get within 30 ft of you."

21. Jul 25, 2007 #20
    Haha I know exactly what you mean. I'm a guy, so I don't smell other guys, but one time this kid walked into the lecture hall, and he had so much cologne on that I smelt it, even though I was sitting far from where he entered. I can think of only 2 reasons for why guys sometimes put too much cologne:

1) Trying too hard to impress someone.
    2) Trying to cover up bad smell from not showering (this happened to me once :shy:)

The funny thing is that if you try to cover up by putting a lot of cologne, usually it makes the smell worse, and I'm sure most people realize that you didn't shower or something along those lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?