Are College Guys Wearing Too Much Cologne?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, these guys are so annoying and they always reek. They need to smell themselves and not bombard other people with their stench. Additionally, these guys need to get up earlier to avoid sitting near people who are sensitive to fragrances.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[rant]
I am so sick of getting headaches in class from guys who are practically bathed in cologne. Geez! Can't they smell themselves? I just don't get it. And why do they always run in late and then sit near me? Ugh! it's really annoying if they do this during exams. Once I even got up and moved. :yuck:

There was a time when young men wore very little cologne - it was considered girly - now they walk into class in a thick cloud of nose-prickling, head-clogging perfume. It's ten times stronger that what the girls wear. These guys are in every class I have, and they reek! :grumpy:

Guys - know when to say when, ok? Let someone else smell you if you are not sure.
[/rant]

Thank you for your attention. That is all.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think its because your in LA. No guys in my classes wear cologne like that. :rofl: We all dress like bums because there's never any girls in the class anyways so we don't care about stuff like that. :rofl:

The only thing worse than a ton of cologne is when they spray a can of axe on themselves. It's what every single high school freshmen locker room smells like. Four years ago, when I was a freshmen, I remember people placing objects on the cans of spray so that they would spray until they were out. GUUHHHHH! AHHHH!

How early must they get up to get all dressed up for lectures? I was all about getting up at the last possible minute and grabbing whatever clothes were closest on my floor. Although, my classes were like cyrus'-- little to no females so it didn't really matter anyway!

Thats annoying with anyone who wears too much aftershave or perfume. Theres something in them and air fresheners that gives me a headache.

I all ways dab a little wd40 behind my ears.

I have a (potentially life-threatening) sensitivity to fragrance chemicals that causes respiratory distress, migraines, and severe pain due to inflammation flaring up my arthritis. Most disturbing is severe acute hypertension that may result in a fatal aneurysm or stroke. I cannot be in the presence of people whose clothes are washed in scented detergents or dried with scented fabric softeners. People who are puzzled about the rise in ADD and asthma among children should consider that these little humans have immune systems and neurological systems that are still developing, and they are expected to breathe a chemical soup in every classroom, and often in their homes.

cristo said:
How early must they get up to get all dressed up for lectures? I was all about getting up at the last possible minute and grabbing whatever clothes were closest on my floor. Although, my classes were like cyrus'-- little to no females so it didn't really matter anyway!

cyrusabdollahi said:
I think its because your in LA. No guys in my classes wear cologne like that. :rofl: We all dress like bums because there's never any girls in the class anyways so we don't care about stuff like that. :rofl:

Maybe that's the problem-- too many cute chicks at this school. And they're all over the place, in every major. The summer heat isn't helping things either. It makes the cologne extra intense. I just wish the cute girls would clue these guys in that they stink to high heaven. I'd much rather be in one of Cyrus's tuna-fish lunch lectures than this torment.

moose said:
The only thing worse than a ton of cologne is when they spray a can of axe on themselves. It's what every single high school freshmen locker room smells like. Four years ago, when I was a freshmen, I remember people placing objects on the cans of spray so that they would spray until they were out. GUUHHHHH! AHHHH!
Geez! That sounds like how I flea bomb my apartment. (except I think RAID uses slightly less toxic chemicals than Axe. :biggrin:)

Math Is Hard said:
Geez! That sounds like how I flea bomb my apartment. (except I think RAID uses slightly less toxic chemicals than Axe. :biggrin:)
RAID flea spray with country fresh scent is now my perfume of choice. Now not only do I smell great, I am flea free. :approve: You don't mind inhaling the pyrethrins at all.

wolram said:
I all ways dab a little wd40 behind my ears.
Now, that's OK. That's manly! :wink:

Kurdt said:
Thats annoying with anyone who wears too much aftershave or perfume. Theres something in them and air fresheners that gives me a headache.

turbo-1 said:
I have a (potentially life-threatening) sensitivity to fragrance chemicals that causes respiratory distress, migraines, and severe pain due to inflammation flaring up my arthritis. Most disturbing is severe acute hypertension that may result in a fatal aneurysm or stroke. I cannot be in the presence of people whose clothes are washed in scented detergents or dried with scented fabric softeners. People who are puzzled about the rise in ADD and asthma among children should consider that these little humans have immune systems and neurological systems that are still developing, and they are expected to breathe a chemical soup in every classroom, and often in their homes.

I really wish they would make a rule about it. I've heard that some restaurants have rules about perfume, and some workplaces do, too.

I am really about ready to slip this one guy a note!

Evo said:
RAID flea spray with country fresh scent is now my perfume of choice. Now not only do I smell great, I am flea free. :approve: You don't mind inhaling the pyrethrins at all.

:rofl::rofl: Now that will give you a nice little buzz, as well!

Math Is Hard said:

Great idea-- but do it in a way that he thinks you're giving him your number or something. (Am I evil? :devil:)

cristo said:
(Am I evil? :devil:)

No that's about right. You want to make a proper job of these things.

Nice one, cristo. I like your devious mind. :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
I really wish they would make a rule about it. I've heard that some restaurants have rules about perfume, and some workplaces do, too.

Most places in Halifax Nova-Scotia are scent free and the university I attend is scent free.

the only problem is that a scent free environment makes you hypersensitive to any time of smell. For example, I know when the girls in the lab wash their because I can smell the shampoo from a good distance.

Math Is Hard said:
Geez! Can't they smell themselves?

I have this theory that all the world's problems stem from the fact that people can't smell themselves...I have yet to submit it to Independent Research, but here's some nice supporting evidence.:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
[rant]
I am so sick of getting headaches in class from guys who are practically bathed in cologne. Geez! Can't they smell themselves? I just don't get it. And why do they always run in late and then sit near me? Ugh! it's really annoying if they do this during exams. Once I even got up and moved. :yuck:

There was a time when young men wore very little cologne - it was considered girly - now they walk into class in a thick cloud of nose-prickling, head-clogging perfume. It's ten times stronger that what the girls wear. These guys are in every class I have, and they reek! :grumpy:

Guys - know when to say when, ok? Let someone else smell you if you are not sure.
[/rant]

I wonder what concentrations of VOCs are in there general area from such a high dosage of chemicals? That might be a way to tell them they have too much of the stuff on. FHMOOMP!

Again, nothing more than a lack of good taste, that's all.

It has to be an L.A. phenomenon. Students here look about the same as they did when I was a student...it's about all they can do to get up and get their hair brushed and throw on a pair of sweats before showing up for class (and you know the hair brushing failed when they wear a cap instead). Thankfully, I have not encountered too many cologne bathers here...male or female.

Maybe the note you slip him should read something like, "You're not going to attract any women if your cologne gives them a headache anytime they try to get within 30 ft of you."

Math Is Hard said:
[rant]

[/rant]

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I'm a guy, so I don't smell other guys, but one time this kid walked into the lecture hall, and he had so much cologne on that I smelt it, even though I was sitting far from where he entered. I can think of only 2 reasons for why guys sometimes put too much cologne:

1) Trying too hard to impress someone.
2) Trying to cover up bad smell from not showering (this happened to me once :shy:)

The funny thing is that if you try to cover up by putting a lot of cologne, usually it makes the smell worse, and I'm sure most people realize that you didn't shower or something along those lines.

Moonbear said:
It has to be an L.A. phenomenon. Students here look about the same as they did when I was a student...it's about all they can do to get up and get their hair brushed and throw on a pair of sweats before showing up for class (and you know the hair brushing failed when they wear a cap instead). Thankfully, I have not encountered too many cologne bathers here...male or female.
well, the thing is, these guys aren't dressed up - they look about as sloppy as the rest of the students. I suspect the cologne dousing might be done in lieu of a shower. :yuck:

EugP said:
2) Trying to cover up bad smell from not showering (this happened to me once :shy:)

The funny thing is that if you try to cover up by putting a lot of cologne, usually it makes the smell worse, and I'm sure most people realize that you didn't shower or something along those lines.

Math Is Hard said:
well, the thing is, these guys aren't dressed up - they look about as sloppy as the rest of the students. I suspect the cologne dousing might be done in lieu of a shower. :yuck:

Eeeewwww! :yuck: In that case, drop him a note that says, "Try soap and deodorant instead of cologne." :yuck:

Maybe I should just slip him a bar of soap in class? :rofl:

meh, locker room smells like axe. They should count themselves lucky. I remember when I was in high school; all the locker room smelled like was urinal cakes :yuck: And it wasn't cinnamon or peppermint.

Last edited:
I was a terrible slob of a student. As a guy with long hair I often wouldn't shower for a week simply because I couldn't be bothered to deal with the hair and I never used tons of cologne, in fact I've never owned any. Its the manly way to be.

No wonder nobody would sit next to me :cry:

Anyway, since a large part of attraction is through pheromones doesn't masking them with large amounts of scent only make you attract superficial looks based types of people? Then you get drawn into short lived meaningless relationships and wonder what's going on and dent your confidence. I think you should send him an essay along those lines in your note. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:

Yuck, that's most definitely the worst combination - sweat and dirt + parfumes/cologne ! :yuck:

Math Is Hard said:
Maybe I should just slip him a bar of soap in class? :rofl:

All you need is a hydrant and a neat http://www.newfire.com.au/images/hydrant_pic.jpg. :biggrin:

My favorite is pâturage à minuit.

Does someone want to smell me?

radou said:
All you need is a hydrant and a neat http://www.newfire.com.au/images/hydrant_pic.jpg. :biggrin:

:rofl: radou... pasting a link to a fire hydrant as if someone wouldn't know what one looks like? :tongue::biggrin:

I don't wear cologne, I think I am mildly allergic, I get a headache and feel nauseated.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
:rofl: radou... pasting a link to a fire hydrant as if someone wouldn't know what one looks like? :tongue::biggrin:

Nah, it's just more illustrative. :tongue:

I know, I know. :tongue: :smile:

radou said:

It rubs the soap
on its skin -
Or else it gets
the hose again.

:bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
It rubs the LOTION on its skin - or else it gets
the hose again.
A little different, if you are the one in the in the pit (not that I would know.)

Math Is Hard said:
It rubs the soap
on its skin -
Or else it gets
the hose again.

:bugeye:

turbo-1 said:
A little different, if you are the one in the in the pit (not that I would know.)

:rofl::rofl:

Edit: yeah, liquid soap seems to be the solution (?). :tongue:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
And why do they always run in late and then sit near me? Ugh! it's really annoying if they do this during exams. Once I even got up and moved. :yuck:
I always thought you were a lecturer -- or is the student'teacher relationship very informal in LA :tongue:

LOL@J77. :rofl:
I do a little of both. I teach training classes at work, but I am also going to school part-time to finish up a degree.

There were two overly-cologned boys in front of me in class today, sitting very close together. I think they are a couple. At least the fragrances did not clash too horribly. It was either sit by them or the spikey-haired kid (mr. cool) who wears more cologne than the two of them put together.

Maybe it's just the warm summer making everyone more aromatic.