Help! College Decision Dilemma

In summary, the person is seeking help in deciding which college to attend. They have been accepted to UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSB: College of Creative Studies, UC Merced (with guaranteed transfer to UCLA or UCB), and U of Arizona. They are considering the UC Merced transfer option after one year, but their mother is concerned about getting the necessary credits and maintaining a good GPA. They are not interested in UCSB due to the atmosphere. UC Davis and UC Irvine are good schools, but do not stand out in any particular area. The person does not have a favorable opinion of U of Arizona, despite it being known for its engineering program.
Doctor Elect
Hi, I can't decide which college to attend. Can someone please help me?
I got accepted to
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSB: College of Creative Studies
UC Merced: Gauranteed Tranfer to UCLA or UCB
U of A

I can't decide. I'm leaning towards trying the UC Merced transfer option after one year but my mom is worried that I won't get the credits needed out of community college classes needed from the summer(I already have some credit from AP and CC classes) to tranfer after a year or that I'll screw up me gpa and not get out at all.

UCSB: CCS seems good but I don't like the atmosphere of UCSB

UC Davis and Irvine seem to be good schools but don't have anything excellant.

U of Arizona doesn't really seem that good at all.

-changed A to arizona

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doctor Elect said:
U of A

Alabama? Arkansas? Alaska? Alberta?

U of Arizona isn't a bad school. I'm not sure why you think other wise. I heard they have a pretty good engineering school.

I heard that UC Davis has an excellent undergraduate Math program.

1. How do I choose the right college for me?

Choosing the right college is a personal decision and there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some factors to consider include location, size, academic programs, extracurricular activities, and cost. It's important to research different options and visit campuses to get a feel for the school's atmosphere and community.

2. Is it better to attend a prestigious university or a less well-known one?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and priorities. Attending a prestigious university may open up more opportunities for internships, networking, and job prospects, but it also often comes with a higher cost. On the other hand, a less well-known university may offer a more personalized education and a better fit for your specific interests and needs.

3. How important are college rankings in the decision-making process?

College rankings can be a helpful starting point when researching potential schools, but they should not be the sole factor in your decision. These rankings often focus on a narrow set of criteria and may not reflect the full picture of a university's strengths and weaknesses. It's important to dig deeper and consider factors that are important to you personally.

4. Should I consider the cost of tuition when making my decision?

Yes, the cost of tuition is an important consideration when choosing a college. It's important to research and compare different schools' financial aid packages and understand the potential long-term impact of student loans. However, it's also important to weigh the value of the education and overall experience you will receive at a particular institution.

5. What if I am still unsure about my college decision?

Choosing a college can be a difficult decision and it's normal to feel unsure. It can be helpful to talk to current students, alumni, or admissions counselors to get a better understanding of the school. You can also consider visiting the campus again or attending an admitted students event to get a better feel for the school's community. Ultimately, trust your gut and choose the college that feels like the best fit for you.