Collision in 2 dimensions (Momentum)

In summary, Two spacecrafts have linked in space and are coasting with their engines off, heading directly towards Mars. They are then thrust apart by large springs, with spacecraft 1 having a mass of 1.9 x 10^4 kg and a final velocity of 3.5 x 10^3 km/h at 5.1 degrees from its original direction, and spacecraft 2 having a mass of 1.7 x 10^4 kg and a final velocity of 3.4 x 10^3 km/h at 5.9 degrees from its original direction. To determine the original speed of the two craft when they were linked together, the work done by the spring in the Y direction must
MattsVai

Homework Statement

Two spacecraft s have linked in space and are coasting with their engines off, heading directly towards Mars. The spacecraft s are thrust apart by large springs. Spacecraft 1 with mass of 1.9 x 10^4 kg, then has a velocity of 3.5 x 10^3 km/h at 5.1 degrees to its original direction. Spacecraft 2 with mass 1.7 x 10^4 kg, has then a velocity of 3.4 x 10^3 km/h at 5.9 degrees to its original direction. Determine the original speed of the two craft when they were linked together.
2. The attempt at a solution
Please see attached my attempt to solve this question. Am I on the right path? Do I have to calculate for Y axis too? Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update:

So Basically, I know now that the force of the spring is in fact internal. But, if there is no velocity on the y-axis why would I have to calculate it? And I on the right path performing calculations for the x-axis only?

Cheers

You are indeed. The work done by the spring only acts in a Y direction so because of that, there is no change in speed in the x direction.

awesomeness... thank you

From looking at your work, you forgot to convert the speeds from Km/h into m/s before plugging the numbers into the equation.

1. What is momentum in a collision in 2 dimensions?

Momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of motion an object has. In a collision in 2 dimensions, momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity in the x and y directions.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision in 2 dimensions?

Momentum is conserved in a collision in 2 dimensions because the total momentum of the system (i.e. all objects involved in the collision) remains constant before and after the collision. This means that the total momentum in the x direction and the total momentum in the y direction must both remain constant.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in 2 dimensions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. How can the conservation of momentum be used to calculate the velocities of objects after a collision in 2 dimensions?

The conservation of momentum equation, ptotal = m1v1 + m2v2, can be used to calculate the velocities of objects after a collision in 2 dimensions. By plugging in the known values for mass and velocity in the x and y directions, the unknown velocities can be solved for.

5. What are some real-life applications of the principles of momentum in 2-dimensional collisions?

The principles of momentum in 2-dimensional collisions are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as car crashes, billiards, and sports like hockey and soccer. They are also important in engineering, such as in designing airbags for vehicles to reduce the impact force during a collision.