Collision - lightsaber with blaster

• Thread starter jasonspine
  • Start date
jasonspine

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi. I'm writing a game and I need a help with physics. Please, take a look at this picture:
[PLAIN]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8645/lightsaberphysics.png [Broken]
White rectangles symbolizes collision detection objects. I've got a function, that checks intersection of two rectangles, and all I need to do is to handle these collisions. I don't need any advanced physics simulation. I need to get the angle of reflected bullet, or linear velocity of reflected bullet. Lightsaber can be moved or rotated (blade around the hand). I need a formula that accounts not only rotation of lightsaber, but also angular velocity. What phrase should I type in google to find something about collisions like that? Or maybe someone on this forum will help me?

I used ODE Physics Engine before, but now I want to remake the game with custom, better collision reaction. You can check it here http://www.pygame.org/project-Too+Many+Troopers+2-1707-2967.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Honestly, it seems like a basic angle-of-incidence situation. You don't seem to be implying that there's any ongoing rotation with the saber (such as would be the case if the blade itself were constantly turning about its axis), so it's essentially going to be the same as a marble bouncing off a pipe. Vector of approach and angle of impact yielding the change in vector.

Now if they aren't to behave like that, though, you've complicated matters. If, for example, there were an elastic rebound component where the forces act upon each other in a less than instantaneous fashion (which would make sense if you're talking about repulsion), then it's going to get complicated fast.