Collision of two initially moving objects

• Thread starter Teachme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving for the collision of two moving objects. The website provides equations and instructions for solving the problem, but the person is having trouble understanding a step. The website suggests applying a transformation to the center of mass frame and using conservation of momentum to solve.
Teachme
So I know how to solve for two initially moving objects that collide one way, but I was reading on this website another way to do it and I am not understanding a step. I've included a picture of the site and underlined the step I don't understand. I've tried a couple ways but I can't get it.

Here is the link the the site as well

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node76.html

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• questionPic.jpg
    questionPic.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
"It is easily demonstrated that"... a bunch of equations that result.
YOu should be able to work backwards from the equations - you have to apply the transform to com frame as suggested and then work through the consequences of conservation of momentum.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of "collision of two initially moving objects"?

The collision of two initially moving objects refers to the situation where two objects that are in motion come into physical contact with each other.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a collision between two moving objects?

The outcome of a collision between two moving objects is affected by several factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of approach of the objects, as well as the elasticity and surface properties of the objects involved.

3. How is the velocity of an object after a collision calculated?

The velocity of an object after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be expressed mathematically as m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass and v is the velocity of each object before and after the collision.

4. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is one in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system.

5. How does the angle of approach affect the outcome of a collision?

The angle of approach between two moving objects can greatly impact the outcome of a collision. If the objects collide head-on, the resulting forces will be the strongest and the objects will likely bounce off each other. However, if the objects collide at an angle, the forces may be redirected and cause the objects to move in a different direction or even stick together after the collision.