1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Color temperature of halogen lamp vs intensity

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    Hey there!

I'm doing some experimental work at a microscope, where the lamp in use is stated to be
    "Lamp bulb: 12 V DC, 100 W halogen lamp bulb (Osram HLX 64623 or Phillips 7724)."

I'm doing some calculations to analyse some of my images, and in there I need the intensity distribution of the lamp.

The color temperature of the lamp is stated as 3200k, and I can just plug that into a black-body distribution.

HOWEVER, how does the colortemperature of a halogen lamp change when the intensity changes? I operate the microscope at the lowest intensity it allows, so I guess the 3200k is no longer appropriate.

I know that a normal light bulb seems "warmer", when you turn down the power, but how does this translate to a halogen lamp?

Best Regards, and happy holidays! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

A halogen lamp uses a tungsten filament just the same as the older lamp type, but the halogen gas allows the filament to operate at a hotter temperature, so this means that it glows whiter (in the same way that hotter stars glow whiter, even bluish.) If you dim it by dropping the voltage, I expect its illumination will become yellower in the much same way as that of the ordinary lamp. The reduced operating temperature will give it a much longer life before it burns out, though. :smile:

I reckon manufacturers would be able to supply the color temperature of their lamps, for reduced operating voltages. Have you tried googling?

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you get a neutral density filter to fit the lamp housing? That could give you the right colour temperature and the right intensity too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook