Columns of liquids at different temperuatures

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the coefficient of absolute expansion of a liquid. The solution involves using the equation (h1)(d1)g = (h2)(d2)g and the definitions of density and temperature to find the coefficient. However, there is some confusion about the correct answer due to a mistake in the values used. A suggestion is made to use the formula \gamma = \frac{1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} to solve the problem accurately.
Amith2006
Sir,
Please help me with this problem.
# A vertical column of liquid 50 cm long at 50 degree Celsius balances another column of same liquid 60 cm long at 100 degree Celsius. What is the coefficient of absolute expansion of the liquid?
I solved it in the following way:
Pressure exerted by 50 cm of liquid at 50 degree Celsius = Pressure exerted by 60 cm of liquid at 100 degree Celsius.
Hence, (h1)(d1)g = (h2)(d2)g
50 x d1 x g = 100 x d2 x g
d1 = 2 x d2 -------- (1)
We know that d1 = d2[1 + r(dt)] --------- (2)
Where d1 = density at T1 temperature
d2 = density at T2 temperature(Here T1<T2)
r = coefficient of cubical expansion of the liquid
dt = T2 – T1
Substituting (1) in (2) we get,
2 x d2 = d2[1 + (r x 50)]
By solving we get,
r = 0.004 / deg Celsius
But the answer given in my book is 0.005/ deg Celsius. Please advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please respond.

Amith2006 said:
Pressure exerted by 50 cm of liquid at 50 degree Celsius = Pressure exerted by 60 cm of liquid at 100 degree Celsius.
h2=60 (not 100) cm

Amith2006 said:
Sir,
Please help me with this problem.
# A vertical column of liquid 50 cm long at 50 degree Celsius balances another column of same liquid 60 cm long at 100 degree Celsius. What is the coefficient of absolute expansion of the liquid?
I solved it in the following way:
d1 = 2 x d2 -------- (1)
We know that d1 = d2[1 + r(dt)] --------- (2)
Where d1 = density at T1 temperature
d2 = density at T2 temperature(Here T1<T2)
r = coefficient of cubical expansion of the liquid
dt = T2 – T1
Substituting (1) in (2) we get,
2 x d2 = d2[1 + (r x 50)]
By solving we get,
r = 0.004 / deg Celsius
But the answer given in my book is 0.005/ deg Celsius. Please advice.
Though I typed it wrongly, I solved it by using h2 = 60cm. Is it right?

Amith2006 said:
Though I typed it wrongly, I solved it by using h2 = 60cm. Is it right?
The problem here is that the change in volume is significant. So the rate of change in volume increases as the volume and temperature increase, does it not? It is a little more complicated than simple linear expansion.

AM

Last edited:
Amith, you need to use :

[tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{V} \frac{\partial V}{\partial T} [/tex]

This is the definition of volumetric thermal expansion coefficient.

What is the purpose of studying columns of liquids at different temperatures?

The purpose of studying columns of liquids at different temperatures is to understand the behavior and properties of liquids under varying thermal conditions. This can help in the development of new technologies and applications, as well as in predicting and controlling natural phenomena such as weather patterns.

How do temperature differences affect the behavior of liquids in a column?

Temperature differences can cause convection currents in a liquid column, resulting in the movement of the liquid and changes in its density. This can also affect the rate of diffusion and the solubility of substances in the liquid. Additionally, temperature changes can cause phase transitions in certain liquids, leading to changes in their physical properties.

What techniques are used to measure the temperature of liquids in a column?

Various techniques can be used to measure the temperature of liquids in a column, such as thermometers, thermal imaging cameras, and infrared sensors. These techniques rely on the principles of thermal expansion, heat conduction, and emission of infrared radiation to accurately measure the temperature of the liquid at different points in the column.

How does the temperature of a liquid column affect its viscosity?

The temperature of a liquid can greatly affect its viscosity, which is the resistance of a liquid to flow. Typically, as the temperature of a liquid increases, its viscosity decreases, causing it to become more fluid and flow more easily. This is due to the increased thermal energy causing the molecules in the liquid to move more freely and with less resistance.

What are some practical applications of understanding columns of liquids at different temperatures?

Understanding the behavior of liquids at different temperatures has many practical applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, the development of new materials, and the study of natural processes like ocean currents and weather patterns. It also has applications in industries such as food and beverage production, where precise temperature control is crucial for product quality and safety.