Density of a liquid above a column of water

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the density of an unknown liquid based on the height of a column of water it can support. The participants also question why the pressures of the two columns should be equal and discuss the concept of equilibrium and pressure exertion at the interface. They conclude that for the columns to remain in equilibrium, the pressures they exert on each other must be equal.
takando12

Homework Statement

A column of water 40 cm high supports a 30 cm column of an unknown liquid.What is the density of the liquid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As per the instruction of the teacher I equated their pressures.
h1ρ1g=h2ρ2g. And hence arrived at the answer. But I don't understand why we are doing this.Why should the pressures of both the columns be equal? I am trying to think of what would happen if they weren't equal but I can't get it. The unknown liquid column will be acted on by atmospheric pressure at the top. What will the pressure at the interface of the 2 liquids be?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
Why should the pressures of both the columns be equal?
Where the two meet, right?
If the pressure in one is P and the cross sectional area where they meet is A then what force does it exert on the other fluid? What will happen if they push on the interface area with unequal forces?

Any total pressure difference that not satisfy Bernoulli's equation make fluid acceleration. For unmoved liquid, pressure on the same label must be the same.

ok. So for the columns to remain in equilibrium, the pressures(or forces) they exert on each other should be equal.
the first column exerts pressure on the second at the interface, but i thought the second only exerts pressure on the bottom of the container? but it actually does on the first.

takando12 said:
ok. So for the columns to remain in equilibrium, the pressures(or forces) they exert on each other should be equal.
the first column exerts pressure on the second at the interface, but i thought the second only exerts pressure on the bottom of the container? but it actually does on the first.
They must exert pressure on each other at the interface. Action and reaction.

1. What is the definition of density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume.

2. How does the density of a liquid above a column of water affect its behavior?

The density of a liquid above a column of water plays a significant role in its behavior, as it determines whether the liquid will sink or float in the water. If the density of the liquid is greater than that of water, it will sink, and if it is less than that of water, it will float.

3. How is the density of a liquid above a column of water measured?

The density of a liquid above a column of water can be measured using a device called a hydrometer. This instrument measures the density of a liquid by comparing it to the density of water.

4. How does temperature affect the density of a liquid above a column of water?

Temperature plays a significant role in the density of a liquid above a column of water. As the temperature of the liquid increases, its density decreases, and vice versa. This is because the molecules of the liquid move faster at higher temperatures, creating more space between them and decreasing the overall density.

5. How does the density of a liquid above a column of water impact the Earth's oceans?

The density of different liquids above a column of water, such as saltwater and freshwater, can have a significant impact on ocean circulation. The differences in density can create ocean currents and affect the distribution of nutrients and marine life within the ocean.