Combinatorics - box of white and black screws

In summary, Pelle can choose an even amount of screws from the box (2 to 32). The chance of getting as many white screws chosen as black screws is 28%.
toofle

Homework Statement

The screwengineer Pelle has a box with 16 black screws and 16 white screws.
a. In how many ways can he pick an even(at least 2) amount of screws from the box?
b. Pelle randomly chooses one of the alternatives in (a), what's the chance that gets as many white as black screws?
It is allowed to answer in binomial coefficients.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) easy, sum k from 2 to 32, 32 nCr k => 4294967263 ways.
b) this is the hard part. I have the solution but I don't understand it.
The nbr of nomempty sets with as many black as white screws are (16 nCr 1)^2+(16 nCr 2)^2+...+(16 nCr 16)^2
Divide that by the answer in (a) to get the answer to (b) => 0.28 = 28%
I don't get the part with nonempty sets.

Physics news on Phys.org
toofle said:

Homework Statement

The screwengineer Pelle has a box with 16 black screws and 16 white screws.
a. In how many ways can he pick an even(at least 2) amount of screws from the box?
b. Pelle randomly chooses one of the alternatives in (a), what's the chance that gets as many white as black screws?
It is allowed to answer in binomial coefficients.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) easy, sum k from 2 to 32, 32 nCr k => 4294967263 ways.
That's not correct. Why would you include the 32C3, for example, the number of ways to choose 3 screws?

b) this is the hard part. I have the solution but I don't understand it.
The nbr of nomempty sets with as many black as white screws are (16 nCr 1)^2+(16 nCr 2)^2+...+(16 nCr 16)^2
Divide that by the answer in (a) to get the answer to (b) => 0.28 = 28%
I don't get the part with nonempty sets.
Say you wanted to calculate the number of ways you could choose 1 white screw and 1 black screw. How would you do that?

I meant sum from 2 to 32 with step=2, ie 2,4,6,8,...,32. for got to write that but the answer was calculated that way.

ofc, (16 nCr 1) * (16 nCr 1). then the same for 2,3,4 etc. I get it.

Actually, you didn't calculate the answer that way, which is why I brought it up. The total number of combinations of choosing from 32 screws is 232=4294967296. If you want only the combinations with an even number of screws, you should get about half that or about 2147483648.

vela said:
Actually, you didn't calculate the answer that way, which is why I brought it up. The total number of combinations of choosing from 32 screws is 232=4294967296. If you want only the combinations with an even number of screws, you should get about half that or about 2147483648.

actually you are right. I forgot to step with 2 in my TI82 as well.
Thanksm but I get it now.

Last edited:

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way.

2. What is a box of white and black screws?

A box of white and black screws is a collection of screws that are either white or black in color. It could also refer to a box with a mix of white and black screws.

3. How many different combinations of screws can be made from a box of white and black screws?

The number of different combinations depends on the number of white and black screws in the box. If there are n white screws and m black screws, then the total number of combinations is (n+m) choose m, which can be calculated using the binomial coefficient formula.

4. What is the probability of randomly selecting a white screw from a box of white and black screws?

The probability of randomly selecting a white screw from the box depends on the total number of white and black screws in the box. If there are n white screws and m black screws, then the probability is n/(n+m).

5. How is combinatorics used in real life scenarios?

Combinatorics has various applications in real life, including in computer science, genetics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems related to counting and arranging objects, such as in coding theory, analyzing gene sequences, and analyzing data sets.