1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics: Linear Code Proof

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    Consider S ={0120, 1010, 2011} as a subset of codes of length four over Z3 with d = 3 By (a) Show that S is a linearly independent set.

I am asked to show S is a linearly independent set. However, if I add 0120 + 0120, I get 0210. Since 0210 is not in the set S, is S still a linearly independent set. If so, how could I show it?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the property you have in mind is called "closed" - indeed S is not closed (under the operation).
    Linearly independent means that you cannot express any of the codes as a linear combination of one of the others. In other words, if you would write

$$a [0120] + b [1010] + c [2011] = [0000]$$

for integers ##a##, ##b## and ##c##, then the only solution to the above equation would be ##a = b = c = 0##.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    A follow up question:
    Let S be a basis for a linear code C. How many code
    words does C have? Justify your answer.

I have no clue how to go about it

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you solved your original question yet, then? Because I haven't looked at it further, but I didn't give you the full answer by far.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5
    I found a, b, c = 0...for the follow-up question, is it just 3^3?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted