1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics - Mathematical Induction?

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am having trouble solving this problem. Maybe I'm just overreacting to it. In my two semesters in discrete math/combinatorics, I've never seen a problem like this (with two summations) and been asked to prove it. Can some one help?

[itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1} i^3 = \frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4} = (\sum^{n}_{i=1} i)^2[/itex]

I mean, I know the whole S(n), S(1), S(k), S(k+1) steps, but I'm just unsure of how to write it. The solutions manual for the book skip that problem.

Book: Discrete And Combinatorial Mathematics: An Applied Introduction by Ralph P. Grimaldi, 5th Edition.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all, this is a textbook problem, so it belongs in the homework forums. I moved it for you :smile:

Second, you actually need to show two things:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n i^3=\frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

(and square both sides)

Can you do that?

4. Jun 15, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much! That helped a lot, I just finished my proof. :D That makes sense why you'd have to break it up. I didn't put the relationship between [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex] and [itex](\sum^{n}_{i=1}i)^2 = \frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}[/itex] together. lol

5. Jun 15, 2012 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These are two separate problems. ∑i³ is one and ∑i is the other. Have you tried either?

The question belongs in mathematics, not computer science.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook