Graphing Rational Functions: Understanding Quadrant Placement and Behavior

• Thread starter CanadianEh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the graph of f(x)=g(x)/h(x), where g(x) = 2^x and h(x)=x, is only present in the first and third quadrants due to the signs of the x and y values of g(x) and h(x). In the first quadrant, both g(x) and h(x) have positive values, causing f(x) to tend towards positive infinity as x approaches zero and infinity. The graph does not cross the x-axis due to the fact that g(x) and h(x) both stay positive. Additionally, the numerator, g(x), cannot cross the x-axis without causing the function to become negative, further supporting the fact that the graph stays within the first quadrant.
CanadianEh
Question:
Consider the graph of f(x)=g(x)/h(x) where g(x) = 2^x and h(x)=x

a) Explain why it makes sense that the graph is in only the 1st and 3rd quadrants
b) Explain the behaviour of the curve in the first quadrant by making reference to the original functions.

I am sooo bad at these communication questions and I desperately need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the quadrants, consider the signs of the x values with the corresponding sign of the y values.

For example, in the first quadrant, is x-positive or negative? and is y positive or negative?

In QI, the x and y values of g(x) and h(x) in the first quadrant are positive.
The x and y values of h(x) in QIII are all negative, but g(x) never goes into QIII because of the asymptote. How do I explain that? lol.

CanadianEh said:
The x and y values of h(x) in QIII are all negative, but g(x) never goes into QIII because of the asymptote. How do I explain that? lol.

For all values of x, 2x is postive. So for 2x/x and x is negative you will have positive/negative which gives a negative number, which would correspond to the sign of the y values in quadrant 3

Thanks a lot, that makes a lot more sense. Can you help me with the end behaviours questions?

CanadianEh said:
Thanks a lot, that makes a lot more sense. Can you help me with the end behaviours questions?

In each quadrant, describe what happens as x becomes increasingly positive or negative as the case may be. Explain if there would be any significant features at any spefic value(s) of x and such.

Well, in QI, as x gets bigger, 2^x quickly gets closer toward infiniti. Similarly, f(x)=x also gets closer to infinite, but at a slower rate. In QIII, f(x)=x goes to negative infiniti.

CanadianEh said:
Well, in QI, as x gets bigger, 2^x quickly gets closer toward infiniti. Similarly, f(x)=x also gets closer to infinite, but at a slower rate.

Right so f(x) will tend to infinity.

CanadianEh said:
In QIII, f(x)=x goes to negative infiniti.

so as x goes to negative infinity 2x will tend to what value?

Zero, right?

CanadianEh said:
Zero, right?

yes. So would 2x reach zero before x reaches negative infinity or does x reach before 2x?

2^x would reach zero before x reaches negative infiniti, correct?

CanadianEh said:
2^x would reach zero before x reaches negative infiniti, correct?

good good...anthing special happens when x goes to zero?

are you referring to the asymptote?

CanadianEh said:
b) Explain the behaviour of the curve in the first quadrant by making reference to the original functions.

Although it's good practice (and fun too) to consider both quadrants, just thought I'd point out that the problem only needs an answer for first quadrant for part b).

Yeah, sorry I got side tracked. I'm looking at the two parent functions and I can't figure out how to explain the new end behaviours of the curve in QI. :S

It appears you and rock did a pretty good job of this already. You just need to put it all together and summarize. You found the asymptote as x goes to zero by considering what g(x) and h(x) does, and you described the fact the the function blows up at x towards infinity by considering how fast the numerator g(x) blows up compared to h(x). Just need to put it down on paper.

Now, some other things you might want to write. Does the Quadrant I part of the function stay within Quadrant I? Or does it cross the x-axis at some point? How do you know? (You already know it doesn't cross the y-axis because it blows up there.)

If it goes to positive infinity at x=0 and blows up at x=Inf, what does that imply that the function has at least one of in the middle? (Hint: think about minimums and maximums in the curve)

Chrisas said:
It appears you and rock did a pretty good job of this already. You just need to put it all together and summarize. You found the asymptote as x goes to zero by considering what g(x) and h(x) does, and you described the fact the the function blows up at x towards infinity by considering how fast the numerator g(x) blows up compared to h(x). Just need to put it down on paper.

Now, some other things you might want to write. Does the Quadrant I part of the function stay within Quadrant I? Or does it cross the x-axis at some point? How do you know? (You already know it doesn't cross the y-axis because it blows up there.)

If it goes to positive infinity at x=0 and blows up at x=Inf, what does that imply that the function has at least one of in the middle? (Hint: think about minimums and maximums in the curve)

Yeah, that part of the curve is all in QI because you can clearly see that both the end behaviours are going to positive infiniti. As for the second part, does that imply that there's at least one asymptote?

CanadianEh said:
Yeah, that part of the curve is all in QI because you can clearly see that both the end behaviours are going to positive infiniti.

That's not good enough to say that. It could fall from positive infinity at x=0, fall past the x-axis line to negative y, then turn around and head back up, cross the x-axis line back to positive and then go to positive infinity at x=infinity. As Rock pointed out, one way to know that doesn't happen is that g(x) and h(x) both stay positive so the result has to stay positive and never goes negative.

However, I'm saying there is a second feature of the graph that you could also talk about. What must happen to the numerator, g(x), if the function were to cross the x-axis? What happens to g(x) at the moment the function just crosses. However, Rock's answer showing that it is always positive is sufficient and you could ignore this part if you want.

As for the second part, does that imply that there's at least one asymptote?

No, that's not what I was fishing for. I was asking about function minimums and maximums. I don't know if you've gone that far in your course yet. It's probably not necessary to consider it.

Well, isn't the reason why it shoots up to positive inifiniti near x=0 because it's 2^x divided by a really small X value from the f(x)=x curve? Like, when you divide a a number by a tiny number, it gives you a huge number, correct? And as for the other side of the curve, the 2^x function is still going up faster than f(x)=x which is why it continues in an exponential-esque shape. Correct?

Yes.

But your stuck on looking at the ends. That may be fine for your problem. What I was trying to get you to consider is what happens in the middle.

Ahhh, I think I get it now. I think the reason why the middle is the way it is is because that is where the rate of change in both functions is similar.

rock.freak667 said:
yes. So would 2x reach zero before x reaches negative infinity or does x reach before 2x?

I'm not sure I understand the question here. [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}2^x = 0[/itex] but 2x is never zero for any finite value of x (no matter how negative). I might be misinterpreting your drift, though.

CanadianEh,
There is now, unfortunately, a word "infiniti" but it is an automobile brand. The word you are seeking is "infinity" -- with a y.

Mark44 said:
I'm not sure I understand the question here. [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty}2^x = 0[/itex] but 2x is never zero for any finite value of x (no matter how negative). I might be misinterpreting your drift, though.

CanadianEh,
There is now, unfortunately, a word "infiniti" but it is an automobile brand. The word you are seeking is "infinity" -- with a y.

I think I figured it out. Thanks for everyone's help. Thanks for the correction Mark44! :)

What is a "Combining Functions Question"?

A "Combining Functions Question" is a type of mathematical question that involves combining two or more functions to create a new function. This is often done by substituting one function into another or by performing operations on multiple functions.

What is the purpose of combining functions?

The purpose of combining functions is to simplify and manipulate mathematical expressions. By combining functions, we can create new functions that are easier to work with and can help us solve more complex problems.

What are some common methods for combining functions?

There are several methods for combining functions, including substitution, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and composition. Each method has its own rules and techniques, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific functions involved.

How do I know which method to use when combining functions?

The method used to combine functions will depend on the specific problem and the types of functions involved. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and determine the most appropriate method based on the given functions and the desired outcome.

What are some tips for solving combining functions questions?

Some tips for solving combining functions questions include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the types of functions involved, determining the most appropriate method for combining the functions, and double-checking the final answer to ensure it is correct.