Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common base amplifier current gain

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Hi folks - I'm trying to follow along in a textbook the derivation of the common-base current gain equation, and I'm having a bit of trouble. The common base current gain is supposed to be approximately [tex]\alpha[/tex], where [tex]\alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}[/tex]. Doing a nodal analysis with the signal applied to the emitter through the intrinsic emitter resistance, the base grounded, and the collector current equal to [tex]I_c = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}I_e[/tex] (Ie is the emitter current) I have:

[tex]\frac{I_i}{I_o} = \frac{\frac{V_in}{r_e}} {\frac{\beta}{\beta+1}{\frac{V_in}{r_e}}}} = \frac{\beta+1}{\beta}[/tex]. Unfortunately the correct answer is obviously [tex]\alpha = \frac{\beta}{\beta+1}[/tex], which the equation I have doesn't evaluate to. Can anyone see where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2
    Nevermind, I see it now that I typed it up! It should of course be [tex]\frac{I_o}{I_i}[/tex], not the other way around. :biggrin:

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3
    The real advantage in common base bipolar transistor RF amplifiers is the high voltage gain from a low impedance source.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook