Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Common emitter vs. common collector power amplification

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    Hello everybody!
    I was studying stuff about transistor and i got stuck somewhere. In lecture they said that The common emitter is the more likely configuration used to amplify signals because it produces more power than other configurations. But when i tried to understand it clearly if found that in a common emitter configuration the input base current Ib is multiplied by [tex]\beta[/tex] (the current gain factor) to give an output collector current Ic=[tex]\beta[/tex]Ib while as far as common collector configuration concerned, the input base current is multiplied by (1+[tex]\beta[/tex]) giving an output emitter current Ie=(1+[tex]\beta[/tex])Ib. As we know the power is directly dependent on the current (P=UI), so i can conclude saying that the power due to a common collector configuration is higher than the one due to a common emitter configuration since the Ie=(1+[tex]\beta[/tex])Ib[tex]\geq[/tex]c=[tex]\beta[/tex]Ib . Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    The *current* gain is nearly equal for CC & CE. But the *voltage* gain is >> 1 for CE, but just under 1 for CC. The *power* gain is the product of current gain & voltage gain. The CE has greater *power* gain than the CC.

Claude

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    Then the great part of power is from the voltage. Now i understand.Thank you!

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4
    Well, as far as power goes, it's the product of both current & voltage. One is not "greater". For a CB stage, the current gain is just under 1, while the voltage gain >> 1. So with the CB & CC stages, power gain is less than that of the CE stage. The CE has a current gain >> 1, as well as a voltage gain >> 1. This is why the CE has such great power gain.

The current gain & voltage gain are equally important as far as power gain is concerned.

Claude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook