Communication skills for engineers

In summary: The problem faced by engineers when communicating information might be that they do not have the skills necessary to effectively present their work to non-technical or scientific audiences. Additionally, the time and financial constraints that often accompany research can make it difficult to generate new information or convert it into a form that is accessible to others.
lindajoseph
What are the problems facing engineers with communicating information

Engineering news on Phys.org
What problems do you think there might be and what is your interest in asking ?

To me, communication is a much overlooked part of engineering. As I've advised my children (both engineers), no matter how good your ideas and solutions are, you need to be able to explain them clearly and "sell" them to others, so they will implement them.

Also be genuinely open to other's ideas (acting interested), and be able to explain why you agree or disagree without making it personal. If you agree with part of their ideas, work them into yours and show you are a team player. This makes it easier for them to contribute in the future, without worrying about being ignored or ridiculed.

So I guess that, besides being clear and correct, communication means establishing mutual respect.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Good response. (Admittedly, I myself am sort of the opposite of a
Randy Beikmann said:
team player.
but, then again, I am not an engineer either.)

lindajoseph said:
What are the problems facing engineers with communicating information
Is this question for homework?

They might be asked to submit information to people of non technical or scientific backgrounds, whose knowledge level in the subject may be null, thus a problem here arises of how to explain the phenomena in a way that gets their intended messege across effectively and does not leave the audience feeling bored, and cheated.

Engineering problems are rarely presented with complete information in writing. Conversion of such a problem to an appropriate form of media could be another issue, Communication skills can be taught. There are also always time and monetary constraints when trying to generate new information or present/convert it in a form that is different.

Last edited:
At one time I was asked regularly to give a "What do Engineers do?" speech at a local university for a Department-head friend. At the end of the presentation I would show a slide indicating all the skills an Engineer needs. Analytical problem solving, design, blah blah, typical Engineer stuff. I also added soft skills of communication (written & verbal), diplomacy, marketing, salesmanship, influencing skills, yadda yadda yadda.

A circle would fly out to capture the hard stuff and I would say "THIS is what you need to keep your job every day."

Another circle would fly out and capture the soft stuff. I told the students "THIS is what you need to grow your career."

Invariably, the majority of the students became depressed and demotivated.

What is the importance of communication skills for engineers?

Communication skills are crucial for engineers because they play a critical role in their day-to-day work. Effective communication allows engineers to convey complex technical information, collaborate with team members, and understand the needs of their clients. Good communication skills also help engineers to avoid misunderstandings, prevent errors, and build strong professional relationships.

How can engineers improve their communication skills?

There are several ways engineers can enhance their communication skills. They can take courses or workshops to learn effective communication techniques, practice active listening, and seek feedback from colleagues. Engaging in regular conversations and presentations can also help in improving communication skills. Additionally, engineers can read books or articles on communication and observe how successful communicators interact with others.

What are the common challenges engineers face in communicating technical information?

One of the major challenges engineers face is explaining complex technical concepts to non-technical individuals. They may also struggle with using jargon and technical terms that their audience may not understand. In addition, engineers may face difficulties in communicating clearly and concisely, which can lead to confusion and misinterpretation of information. Cultural and language barriers can also pose challenges in effective communication for engineers.

Why is it important for engineers to be able to communicate with different stakeholders?

Engineers work with various stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle, including clients, team members, vendors, and regulatory agencies. Therefore, the ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders is crucial in ensuring the project's success. It helps in managing expectations, resolving conflicts, and promoting collaboration. Good communication with stakeholders also helps engineers to understand their needs and requirements better, leading to better project outcomes.

How can engineers use communication skills to advance their careers?

Strong communication skills can be a valuable asset for engineers in advancing their careers. Effective communication can help engineers to build a positive reputation, gain the trust of their colleagues and clients, and enhance their leadership abilities. Good communication skills also enable engineers to present their ideas and solutions effectively, making them stand out in their organization. Additionally, engineers with excellent communication skills are often seen as valuable assets to their company, which can lead to career growth opportunities.