Commutation relation of operators involving momentum and position

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Kooshy
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The problem is number 11, the problem statement would be in the first picture in the spoiler.
Basically, I'm trying to find if two operators commute. They're not supposed to, since they involve momentum and position, but my work has been suggesting otherwise, so I'm doing something wrong.

Homework Equations


Are in problem 10 and written next to it. (2nd picture in spoiler.)
x^ = x
p^ = -iħ d/dx

P^= p^/√(mωλ)
Q^=x^ * (√(mω/ħ))


The Attempt at a Solution


Also in the picture.
I think I'm messing up where the operators operate on each other and new terms are created, and I'm not sure where or how to fix it.

2011-09-30161342.jpg

2011-09-30161246.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In (10) you have already proved that [P,Q] = -i[itex]\sqrt{hbar/\lambda}[/itex]
Now re (11), do not substitute for the operators P and Q but leave them as P and Q. Hence the resulting expression will be in terms of P and Q. Then use [P,Q] = -i[itex]\sqrt{hbar/\lambda}[/itex]
 
Thank you grzz, that worked out much easier than what I was trying.
:smile: