Commutative free particle time evolution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the time evolution of variance in quantum mechanics. The first part of the problem is related to basic statistics, and the second part involves solving for the time evolution of the variance using the Schrödinger equation and the formula for variance in quantum mechanics. The conversation also mentions integrating the Schrödinger equation and finding the expectation values of position at different times. The participants express confusion and ask for guidance on how to proceed with the problem.
chaotic

Homework Statement

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2532/70224197.png

Homework Equations

i know schrödingher eq. and basic quantum formula

The Attempt at a Solution

i showed that the equality at the first question but i can not start from (a) part. how and where am i supposed to start for (a) part of question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i even don't know what is the time evoluation of varience? what is that?

Forget quantum mechanics for a second. From basic statistics, if x is a random variable, its variance is ##\sigma^2 = E[(x-\bar{x})^2]##, where ##\bar{x}=E(x)##. Now how does this translate into quantum mechanics? It should be clear how the first part of the problem then applies to solving (a).

thank you for your answer. now i am trying that

[itex]\frac{dψ}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{iħ}{2m}[/itex] d2ψ/dx2

after that i find that; (i send dt to right side)

ψ = ∫ [itex]\frac{iħ}{2m}[/itex] d2ψ/dx2 dt

but i don't know how can i take the integral of right side?

after that i will use the <x> = ∫ψ* x ψ

is that true?

I have no idea what you're doing.

me too. I am very confused. can you just tell me how can i find <x(t)> and <x(t)^2>

1. What is commutative free particle time evolution?

Commutative free particle time evolution is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a free particle over time. It refers to the property that the position and momentum operators of a particle commute, meaning that they can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other.

2. How is commutative free particle time evolution different from non-commutative time evolution?

The difference between commutative and non-commutative time evolution lies in the behavior of the position and momentum operators. In commutative time evolution, these operators commute and do not change over time, while in non-commutative time evolution, these operators do not commute and may change over time.

3. What is the significance of commutative free particle time evolution?

The significance of commutative free particle time evolution is that it allows for the prediction and understanding of the behavior of a free particle over time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many calculations and experiments.

4. How is commutative free particle time evolution related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. Commutative free particle time evolution is a property of this equation, as it ensures that the position and momentum operators commute, allowing for the accurate prediction of a particle's behavior over time.

5. Can commutative free particle time evolution be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, commutative free particle time evolution can be applied to all types of particles, including electrons, protons, and neutrons. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.