1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time evolution of a particle in an ISW after the well

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How does the state of a particle in an ISW evolve with time after the width of the well doubles - from a to 2a
    If the particle starts in the ground state of the half width well, then immediately after the well doubles it will be undisturbed therefore the initial wave function is
    |P(0)>=Integrate[Sqrt[2/a] Sin[3.1415... x/a], {x,0,a}] |x>
    THe evolution operator is
    |P(t)>=Exp[-i E t/hbar] |P(0)>
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does this mean that the solution is just stitching those two equations together? I plotted it and it came out that the solution just went up and down in the half well (or, if I changed the integration limits, it came out at just the second excited state of the full well).
    I was under the impression that some sort of spreading had to occur, but I'm not sure how to get it...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are the new energy eigenstate wavefunctions for the expanded well? These become the states that have a simple time evolution.

[EDIT: I don't understand this expression: |P(0)>=Integrate[Sqrt[2/a] Sin[3.1415... x/a], {x,0,a}] |x>]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted