1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Particle in a Box Periodic BC's

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question says to solve the Schrodinger equation for a particle in a box with periodic conditions and then it gives.
    ψ(0)=ψ(a)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the above BC and I also did it as its derivative. (It wasn't stated but I assumed it was implied. I had no other way to solve for anything.)

Here is my work..
    http://imageshack.us/a/img853/9774/qmproblem2.jpg [Broken]

I was able to get the Energies, but I now have nothing left to solve for A and B! I was thinking of setting ψ(0)=0 or ψ(a)=0 but I don't know if this is correct because it is the same as the non-periodic condition.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2
    Hi.
    A box is bended so that point x=0 and point x=a coincide. derivatives and value of wave function coincide there. That might be an interpretation for your question.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    The norm of the wave function must be 1. This is the missing condition.

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4
    I did the normalization and came to the following...
    [tex]A=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}-B^2}[/tex]

I still need one more condition to solve for A and B....

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    You have two unknowns, A and B. You have two equations relating them with each other and a. I do not think you need anything else.

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There are three unknowns: A, B, and k. You might find it easier to understand if you write the solution in the form ##\psi(x) = A \cos(kx+\phi)##. The normalization condition will allow you to solve for A, and like before, periodicity allows you to solve for k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook