Commutativity of Differential Operators in Lagrangian Mechanics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
campo133
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello.

I am having trouble realizing the following relation holds in Lagrangian Mechanics. It is used frequently in the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation but it is never elaborated on fully. I have looked at Goldstein, Hand and Finch, Landau, and Wikipedia and I still can't reason this. Could anybody elaborate or provide a proof? Thanks!

Let [tex]\vec{r} = \vec{r} \left( q_1, q_2, ..., q_i \right)[/tex] be the position vector of a particle where [tex]q_1, q_2, ..., q_i[/tex] are the respective generalized coordinates and. Each [tex]q_i = q_i(t)[/tex], that is each coordinate is a function of time. In all derivations of the Euler-Lagrange equation, I see the following:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} \left( \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} \right)[/tex]

Why is this so?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It follows from the commutativity of differentiation with respect to different q's. Use the chain rule to write out the total time derivative explicitly as a sum of partial derivatives of r with respect to all the q's, each multiplied by the time derivative of the q-variable.

Then both sides differ only in the order of differentiation with respect to the q's. If the function r is sufficiently regular it will therefore be true.

Torquil
 
I ended up working it out, quite simply really. I was getting held up with q dot, as I was treating it as a function of qs instead of strictly t.

Working out the left side using the chain rule you get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 \vec{r}}{\partial q_i^2} \dot{q_i}[/tex]

Working the right side out using the chain rule also give:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \dot{q_i} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 \vec{r}}{\partial q_i^2} \dot{q_i}[/tex]

since [tex]q_i = q_i(t)[/tex].

This shows both sides are equal, and the differentiation commutes.
 
Last edited:
campo, thanks for posting this. I remember also being confused by that, but I had forgotten how I convinced myself. Your explanation is very clear and comforting.
 
Campo133, I think you forgot that [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is a function of all the [tex]q[/tex]'s:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \right) =<br /> \sum_j \dot{q_j} \frac{\partial}{\partial q_j} \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

On the other hand:

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} \left( \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} \right) =<br /> \frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}\sum_j \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_j} \dot{q_j}=<br /> \sum_j \frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_j} \dot{q_j}[/tex]

Notice that the [tex]q_i[/tex] differentiation doesn't act upon [tex]\dot{q}_j[/tex] on the right hand side, even for the term [tex]j=i[/tex], because those are treated as inpedentent variables in the Lagrangian formalism.

The difference between these two expressions is the order of the [tex]q[/tex]-differentiation. If [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is sufficiently regular as a function of the [tex]q[/tex]'s, then this doesn't matter. This is what I expressed with words in my first reply.

Torquil
 
torquil said:
Campo133, I think you forgot that [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is a function of all the [tex]q[/tex]'s ...
Isn't that exactly what Campo did here:
campo133 said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 \vec{r}}{\partial q_i^2} \dot{q_i}[/tex]
...
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i} \left( \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial q_i} \dot{q_i} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial^2 \vec{r}}{\partial q_i^2} \dot{q_i}[/tex]
I'm confused.
 
Well, when you do the time derivative on the first expression, you need to time-differentiate "through" all the different q_j-variables, not only q_i. The vector r was already differentiated once with respect to q_i (for a given i). So the result should be what I wrote in my post, right, where i is fixed, and there is a sum over j? My expression is not the same as campo's, so only one of us can be right :-)

Torquil
 
Yes torquil is correct in the most general sense. My explanation only works if r is a function of qi. Typically, r has many variables, so you need to sum over all of them. In my case, r just had one.
 
Oh, I thought that you were using an implicit summation convention for repeated indices. People don't do that anymore? I thought that it was standard practice.
 
turin said:
Oh, I thought that you were using an implicit summation convention for repeated indices. People don't do that anymore? I thought that it was standard practice.

No they still use that convention, but it wouldn't be the same as my expression anyway. If I were to interpret it as a sum over the index i, the expression would still not contain any "cross-terms", i.e. the terms in my sum that have [tex]j \neq i[/tex], e.g. terms where r is differentiated with respect to e.g. both q_1 and q_2.

Torquil
 
torquil said:
... the expression would still not contain any "cross-terms", i.e. the terms in my sum that have [tex]j \neq i[/tex], ...
I totally missed that! Thanks, torquil.