Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutator of exponential operators

1. Jan 5, 2014 #1
    How do I compute the commutator [itex][a,e^{-iHt}][/itex], knowing that [itex][H,a]=-Ea[/itex]?

I tried by Taylor expanding the exponential, but I get [itex]-iEta[/itex] to first order, which seems wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why does it seem wrong?

4. Jan 5, 2014 #3
    The answer I was expecting to get is something like [itex]e^{-iEt}[/itex]. This follows from the fact that I was trying to replicate the following calculation

[tex]e^{iHt}ae^{-iHt}=e^{-iEt}a[/tex]

which is said to be justified by [itex][H,a]=-Ea[/itex].

If I take my result to be true, I get

[tex]e^{iHt}ae^{-iHt}=e^{iHt}(e^{-iHt}a-iEta)=a-ie^{iHt}Eta[/tex]

5. Jan 5, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

The first order is not the final result...

6. Jan 5, 2014 #5
    Second order does the job....thanks.

7. Jan 5, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I am surprised by that, as the final result has all orders, and just ignoring orders means changing the value of things.

8. Jan 5, 2014 #7
    It does the job in the sense that with two orders I can get back two terms which I can combine back together to form an exponential by recognising they are the first two terms in its Taylor expansion. I thought, naively, that one order would have been enough, but the fact that the first commutator vanishes doesn't make it work.

9. Jan 5, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Ah, okay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook