Compact Sets of Moore Plane

In summary, the compact sets in the slitted plane topology are the same as the compact sets in the usual real line, and the compact sets in the Moore plane consist of closed, bounded sets disjoint from the x-axis along with finitely many points on the x-axis.
ForMyThunder
Is there any easy way to find all the compact sets of 1) the slitted plane and 2) the Moore plane?

1) defined as the topology generated by a base consisting of z\cup A where A is a disc about z with finitely many lines deleted. I believe the compact sets in this topology coincide with the usual real line. How do I prove this?

2) (rough sketch) I know that a closed, bounded set disjoint from the x-axis is compact. I guess if a set touched the x-axis in an infinite number of points, it would not be compact. So the compact sets consisting of a closed, bounded set disjoint from the x-axis along with finitely many points on the x-axis is compact?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I do not think so. A closed section of disc should be compact and is no real line.
2) The number of points on the ##x-## axis shouldn't play a role here.

Hi there!

For 1), you are correct that the compact sets in this topology are the same as the usual real line. To prove this, we can use the fact that a subset of a compact set is compact and that a closed subset of a compact set is compact. So, let K be a compact set in the slitted plane topology. We know that K is a subset of the usual real line, which is compact. Therefore, K is compact as well. Similarly, if K is a closed subset of the usual real line, it is also closed in the slitted plane topology and therefore compact. This shows that the compact sets in the slitted plane topology are the same as the compact sets in the usual real line.

For 2), your intuition is correct. A closed, bounded set disjoint from the x-axis is compact because it is a subset of the usual real line, which is compact. And a set that touches the x-axis in an infinite number of points is not compact because it is not closed. So, the compact sets in the Moore plane would be the closed, bounded sets disjoint from the x-axis along with finitely many points on the x-axis. This can also be proved using the same reasoning as in 1).

Hope this helps!

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a topological space that is closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all its limit points and that there exists a finite open cover for the set.

2. What is the Moore Plane?

The Moore Plane, also known as the Niemytzki Plane, is a topological space that is constructed by adding a single point to the Euclidean plane and defining a new topology for the resulting space.

3. How are compact sets defined in the Moore Plane?

In the Moore Plane, compact sets are defined as closed and bounded sets with respect to the topology of the space. This means that the set contains all its limit points and that there exists a finite open cover for the set in the Moore Plane.

4. Can compact sets in the Moore Plane be unbounded?

No, by definition, compact sets in the Moore Plane must be bounded. This means that there is a finite distance from any point in the set to the added point in the construction of the Moore Plane.

5. What are some examples of compact sets in the Moore Plane?

Some examples of compact sets in the Moore Plane include finite point sets, closed disks, and closed annuli. These sets are all closed and bounded with respect to the topology of the Moore Plane.