Compact subsets of compact sets

In summary, the conversation discusses compactness and the argument that any subset of a compact set must also be compact. Through the example of [0,1] and (0,1), it is shown that not all open covers of (0,1) are covers of [0,1], thus proving that (0,1) is not compact. The conversation also addresses the importance of showing that every open cover of a subset contains a finite subcover in order to prove compactness.
variety
This may be a stupid question, but I just confused myself on compactness. For some reason I can't convince myself that ANY subset of a compact set isn't compact in general; just closed subsets. Suppose K is a compact set and [tex]F \subset K[/tex]. Then if [tex](V_{\alpha})[/tex] is an open cover of K, [tex]K \subset \cup_1^n V_{\alpha}[/tex] for some n. But since [tex]F \subset K[/tex], doesn't that mean that [tex]F \subset \cup_1^n V_{\alpha}[/tex], which means that F...oh I just answered my own question. Ha. I guess it helps to write things out.

But just to make sure I understand what went wrong in the argument: The argument doesn't prove anything because it doesn't show that EVERY open cover of F contains a finite subcover. It just shows that every open cover of F that is also an open cover of K has a finite subcover, which is obvious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly. [0,1] is compact, (0,1) is not. That is because it is possible to find open covers of (0,1) that are not covers of [0,1]. For example, the collection of open sets {(1/n, 1-1/n)} for n a positive integer is an open cover of (0,1). It does not have any finite subcover because any finite collection of those must have a largest n: call it N. Then the collection does not include any x< 1/N or larger than 1-1/N. Of course, none of those sets contains 0 or 1 so it is not an open cover of [0,1]. Well, done!

1. What is a compact subset of a compact set?

A compact subset of a compact set is a subset that is both compact and contained within the original compact set. This means that the subset is closed (contains all its limit points) and bounded (contained within a finite distance).

2. How are compact subsets of compact sets used in topology?

Compact subsets of compact sets are important in topology because they allow for the construction of more complex topological spaces. By combining compact sets and their subsets, topologists can study the properties of more intricate spaces and make connections between them.

3. Can a compact subset of a compact set be unbounded?

No, a compact subset of a compact set must be bounded. This is because it is a subset of a compact set, which by definition is bounded. If a subset were unbounded, it would not be contained within the original compact set.

4. Is every subset of a compact set also compact?

No, not every subset of a compact set is compact. This is because a subset may not satisfy the properties of being closed and bounded. However, if the subset is a compact subset of the compact set, then it will also be compact.

5. How are compact subsets of compact sets related to the Heine-Borel theorem?

The Heine-Borel theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem is closely related to compact subsets of compact sets, as both deal with the concepts of closed and bounded sets. In fact, the Heine-Borel theorem can be considered a special case of the more general concept of compact subsets of compact sets.