1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of Riemann integral to accumulation function

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Let f:[0,1]→ℝ be an increasing function. Show that for all x in (0,1],

[tex]\frac{1}{x}\int_{0}^{x}f (t) \,dt \le \int_{0}^{1}f (t) \,dt [/tex]

So by working backwards I got to trying to show that [itex](1-x)\int_{0}^{1}f (t) \,dt \le \int_{x}^{1}f (t) \,dt [/itex]. While I know both sides are equal at x=1, the LHS is decreasing, and the RHS is continuous, I haven't been able to find a reason to say the inequality is true (probably nothing there).

Should I pass to considering upper and lower sums, or is there some fancy way to use integration by parts here? I haven't come across anything compelling in all my random scratch work.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

how about something like this...

f is increasing so
    f(a)<f(b) for all a<b (strictly increasing?)

now say f(x) = c, can you show
    [tex](1-x)c<\int_x^1 f(t) dt [/tex]
    [tex]\int_0^x f(t) dt < xc [/tex]

the second gives
    [tex]\frac{1}{x}\int_0^x f(t) dt < c [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Nov 22, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

also it may help to think of it like this

[itex] \frac{1}{x}\int_{0}^{x}f (t) \,dt [/itex] is the average value of the function over the interval [0,x]

[itex]\int_{0}^{1}f (t) \,dt [/itex] is the average value of the function over the interval [0,1]

As the function is increasing, so will its average increase over a larger interval

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the intuition. Now I was able to easily get the inequality

[tex]\frac{1}{x}\int^{x}_{0}f\,dt \le \frac{1}{1-x}\int^{1}_{x}f\,dt[/tex]

but I'm not sure how that can show the LHS ≤ [itex]\int^{1}_{0}f\,dt[/itex]. I'm sure I'm being blind and missing something super obvious. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook