Comparison of width of a wavefunction in real space and momentum space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
BasharTeg
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello, I have a slight problem with Quantumtheory here.

Homework Statement


I have solved the schrödinger equation in the momentum space for a delta potential and also transferred it into real space. So now I have to find the correlation between the width of the wavefunction in both spaces (and then motivate it physically) and I am stuck here because I don't even know where to start.


Homework Equations


[itex]\Psi (x) = \sqrt{\kappa}e^{- \kappa |x|}[/itex]

[itex]\Psi (p) = \frac{\sqrt{2 ( \hbar \kappa)^3}}{\sqrt{\pi}(p^2 + (\hbar \kappa)^2)}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking about maybe the uncertainty relation of momentum and space would help here, but I am stuck where to start.


Hope someone can help or give a hint.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just looking at the functions, you can approximate the characteristic width of the wave functions in position space by using [itex]\kappa x \approx 1[/itex] and in momentum space by using [itex]p / \hbar \kappa \approx 1[/itex].

If you want to be more precise, calculate [itex]\Delta x = \sqrt{\langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x \rangle^2}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta p = \sqrt{\langle p^2 \rangle - \langle p \rangle^2}[/itex].
 
Thanks I will look into it. I guess I have to calculate Δx and Δp since I need a correlation how the width in momentum space affects the width in real space and vice versa.