Complex Numbers: Why Use Complex Conjugate?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the use of the complex conjugate operator in complex number multiplication allows for easier "division" and fraction operations, as well as yielding real number results. This is useful in telecommunication systems and other applications where working with complex numbers is necessary.
EngWiPy
Complex Numbers

Hello,

Why when dealing with complex numbers, as with multiplication, we use the complex conjugate operator?

Regards

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So we can do complex 'division' and fractions.

Compare what happens in the following

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c - id}}{{c - id}}[/tex]

with

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c + id}}{{c + id}}[/tex]

Studiot said:
So we can do complex 'division' and fractions.

Compare what happens in the following

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c - id}}{{c - id}}[/tex]

with

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c + id}}{{c + id}}[/tex]

I didn't get it. I mean, in telecommunication systems, when we deal with baseband signals, we deal with complex numbers, and all the time we use the complex conjugate operator, but I don't understand why and what it is mean physically.

I did expect you to work my examples out.

Which one contained the conjugate and which one leads to a single complex number result?

If you apply a formula in real analysis say 27*3 you want the simple answer 81, not something more difficult than you started with such as

[tex]{\left( {\sqrt 9 } \right)^2}*{\left( {\sqrt 9 } \right)^2}[/tex]

The same is true of complex numbers.

What does simple multiplication by a conjugate yield by the way ( a real number)?

The product of a complex number and its conjugate has the nice property that is a real number- and for any z other than 0 \(\displaystyle z*\overline{z}\) is a positive real number.

FAQ: Complex Numbers: Why Use Complex Conjugate?

1. What are complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are a pair of complex numbers where the real parts are the same, but the imaginary parts have opposite signs. For example, the complex conjugates of 2+3i are 2-3i and vice versa.

2. Why do we use complex conjugates?

Complex conjugates are useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations involving complex numbers. They also help in finding the magnitude and angle of a complex number.

3. How do complex conjugates help in simplifying complex expressions?

When multiplying a complex number by its conjugate, the result is always a real number. This allows us to eliminate the imaginary terms and simplify the expression.

4. Can complex conjugates be used in division?

Yes, complex conjugates can be used in division as well. When dividing a complex number by its conjugate, the result is always a real number. This is helpful in simplifying complex fractions.

5. Are complex conjugates only used in mathematics?

No, complex conjugates have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are commonly used in solving differential equations and in analyzing alternating current circuits.