Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comples Numbers

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    Complex Numbers

Hello,

Why when dealing with complex numbers, as with multiplication, we use the complex conjugate operator?

Regards

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    So we can do complex 'division' and fractions.

Compare what happens in the following

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c - id}}{{c - id}}[/tex]

with

[tex]\frac{{a + ib}}{{c + id}}*\frac{{c + id}}{{c + id}}[/tex]

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    Re: Complex Numbers

I didn't get it. I mean, in telecommunication systems, when we deal with baseband signals, we deal with complex numbers, and all the time we use the complex conjugate operator, but I don't understand why and what it is mean physically.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4
    I did expect you to work my examples out.

Which one contained the conjugate and which one leads to a single complex number result?

If you apply a formula in real analysis say 27*3 you want the simple answer 81, not something more difficult than you started with such as

[tex]{\left( {\sqrt 9 } \right)^2}*{\left( {\sqrt 9 } \right)^2}[/tex]

The same is true of complex numbers.

What does simple multiplication by a conjugate yield by the way ( a real number)?

6. Mar 7, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The product of a complex number and its conjugate has the nice property that is a real number- and for any z other than 0 [math]z*\overline{z}[/math] is a positive real number.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook