Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Completely portable LaTeX system? Anything?

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a portable form of MiKTeX, but I have not yet found description of any portable editor program which could go along with it. Anyone knows of such a portable editor for use with portable MikTeX, please tell.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    Portable miktex has TeXworks included see "how to use the portable edition" on http://miktex.org/portable

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I checked those websites. I really did not understand the information there. A careful look into portable MiKTeX seems good right now.

Those other websites did not make clear what EMACS is. Not much documentation telling about how portable is it neither. Windows? Portable? Zipped portable but need to install? I'm confused.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That seems like the neat way to go. The page did not say anything about configuring or setting path or what other settings to make to ensure the editor and the MikTeX will work and will work together. Does the portable form of these programs still need setting various PATHs and other settings?

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6
    Not certain, I have used it before but that's a long time ago.
    I don't remember any problems with standard LaTeX-editing.

I advise you just set it up and try some stuff (follow the steps I referred to before). Perhaps even try to compile some old tex-files you have in the portable environment.
    That way you know exactly what's possible and what not.

trying >> thinking in this case :-)

8. Mar 11, 2015 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The instructions on the web page did not say anything about configuring or setting options or paths, so I will just extract the EXE 7zip file to a usb flashdrive and see what happens. I have not any TEX files. I had used TeXaide a few times, but I never was too strong at knowing the typesetting codes; that program was graphical with formatting buttons, and I would copy & paste. TeXaide worked well on the physicsforums, and also in Jarte wordprocessor.

9. Mar 11, 2015 #8
  10. Mar 11, 2015 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The unpacking time is taking between 40 and 50 minutes,
    ... DONE now, took 40 minutes to unpack.

I ran miktex-portable.cmd as administrator, then rightclicked to see the taskbar menu. Not sure what next to expect. Options maybe for any configuring? I'm no longer clear on this. TeXWorks and MikTex are supposed to be portable as unpacked from the 7zip file, so guessing no path variable or other configuring should be needed....?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  11. Mar 12, 2015 #10

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Nobody answered the last post yet but found it that the package as portable has a helpfile included, with some introductory guidance. TeXworks can be opened, a simple document created, saved, and the compile button digests the .TEX found in the editor window and forms a PDF display according to the code in LaTeX. No configuring, no setting a PATH variable, no other options or settings need be made.

So far, no guidance found in the helpfile for Mathematical typesetting, but a brief online search turned-up this useful site: https://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Mathematical_expressions
    Some different code or commands shown there.

I have not yet taken the chance to try any of this for mathematics symbols.

12. Mar 12, 2015 #11

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Emacs is a text editor, and is very well adapted for programming and LaTeX, among many others. I don't have Windows, so I can't very this, but the information here states that you can have it as an executable on a USB stick, no installation needed.

Do you mean that you want to learn LaTeX? If so check out The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook