Completing the Square in Fourier Transform: Right or Wrong?

In summary, the book states that you should add the last term back, and the normal method to complete the square may need adjusting because of the $i^2$.
ognik
Hi - following an example in my book to calc. the Fourier Transform of the Gaussian. We need to complete the square to integrate the exponent, the power is $-a^2t^2+i\omega t$ ... - all good so far.

Trouble is when I complete the square I get \(\displaystyle -a^2(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2})^2 +\frac{\omega^2}{4a^4}\)

The book states \(\displaystyle -a^2(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2})^2 -\frac{\omega^2}{4a^2}\)

Could someone tell me which is right please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - following an example in my book to calc. the Fourier Transform of the Gaussian. We need to complete the square to integrate the exponent, the power is $-a^2t^2+i\omega t$ ... - all good so far.

Trouble is when I complete the square I get \(\displaystyle -a^2(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2})^2 +\frac{\omega^2}{4a^4}\)

The book states \(\displaystyle -a^2(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2})^2 -\frac{\omega^2}{4a^2}\)

Could someone tell me which is right please?

If you expand your perfect square to check your answer, you will immediately see that the book's answer is right.

We begin with:

\(\displaystyle -a^2t^2+i\omega t\)

We can next factor out $-a^2$:

\(\displaystyle -a^2\left(t^2-\frac{i\omega}{a^2} t\right)\)

Next, take the coefficient of the linear term, divide by 2, square and the add inside the brackets and subtract on the outside:

\(\displaystyle -a^2\left(t^2-\frac{i\omega}{a^2} t+\left(\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)^2\right)-\left(-a^2\left(\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)^2\right)\)

Rewrite first term as square of binomial, and for the second term we have two negative signs and $i^2$, so it is negative:

\(\displaystyle -a^2\left(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)^2-a^2\left(\frac{\omega}{2a^2}\right)^2\)

Distribute into the second term:

\(\displaystyle -a^2\left(t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)^2-\left(\frac{\omega}{2a}\right)^2\)

This is equivalent to what your book states. :)

What is bothering me is that I think the normal method to complete the square needs adjusting because of the $i^2$

If I expand the 1st term I get: $ \left( t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)\left( t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right) = t^2-\frac{i\omega}{a^2} -\frac{w^2}{4a^4} $

The last term gets a minus sign because of the $i^2$ so we should add that last term back?

ognik said:
What is bothering me is that I think the normal method to complete the square needs adjusting because of the $i^2$

If I expand the 1st term I get: $ \left( t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right)\left( t-\frac{i\omega}{2a^2}\right) = t^2-\frac{i\omega}{a^2} -\frac{w^2}{4a^4} $

The last term gets a minus sign because of the $i^2$ so we should add that last term back?

Don't forget to give the middle term $t$ as a factor and then distribute the $-a^2$! :)

ognik said:

This may well be true, but you have a $-a^2$ factor overall, which will change the sign.

Ah, that's it, forgetting the minus from the $a^2$, thanks guys

What is a completing the square puzzle?

A completing the square puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves rearranging a quadratic equation to create a perfect square trinomial. This is done by adding a constant term to both sides of the equation and then factoring to create a perfect square.

Why is completing the square important?

Completing the square is important because it allows us to solve quadratic equations that cannot be solved using other methods, such as factoring or the quadratic formula. It is also helpful in graphing quadratic equations and understanding their properties.

How do you complete the square?

To complete the square, first make sure the coefficient of the squared term is 1. Then, take half of the coefficient of the x term, square it, and add it to both sides of the equation. This creates a perfect square trinomial, which can be factored to solve for the variable.

What are the benefits of using a completing the square puzzle?

Completing the square puzzles can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also provide a visual representation of quadratic equations and their solutions, making it easier to understand the concept.

Are there any shortcuts for completing the square?

While there are no shortcuts for completing the square, there are some tricks that can make the process easier. For example, if the coefficient of the x term is even, you can divide it by 2 before completing the square. Additionally, practice and familiarity with the process can make completing the square quicker and more efficient.