1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Complex analysis] Coefficients of Laurent series

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have some past exam questions that I am confused with

vuwxl.png

2. Relevant equations

[itex]a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{f(z)}{z-a}\, dz[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to approach this, I'm completely lost and just attempted to solve a few:

a) it says [itex]f(z)[/itex] has a pole of order 5, so [itex] f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{z^5}, g(z)\neq0 [/itex]

so then I guess the condition is [itex]a_{4} = \frac{g^{(4)}(0)}{4!} [/itex]? But that's just applying the formula for the coefficients...

c) [itex] f(\frac{1}{z}) = \frac{g(\frac{1}{z})}{z^5} => f(z) = z^5g(z) [/itex]

so the coefficients are [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma z^5g(z) dz [/itex]?

d) [itex] \frac{1}{f(z)} = \frac{g(z)}{z^5} => f(z) = \frac{z^5}{g(z)} [/itex]

so, [itex] a_{n} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_\gamma \frac{z^5}{g(z)} dz [/itex]

g) [itex]a_{-1} = \frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint_ \gamma f(z) dz = \frac{1}{2\pi i} = Res(f; c)*I(\gamma; c) = -Res(f; c)[/itex]

h) [itex] \frac{a_{n}}{16} = 4^{n}a_{n} => 0 = a_{n}(4^{n} - 4^{-2}) => a_{n} = 0 [/itex] or [itex] n = -2 [/itex]

for e) and f), I'm not sure what the relevance of the essential singularity is

Well, I think you can see I'm clearly lost, would appreciate if you could help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2
    You need to look at these by sayin' for example, (a), if
    [tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{z^n}[/tex]
    and it has a pole of order 5, then that must mean it at least has a non-zero term for the [itex]\frac{1}{z^5}[/itex] term and all the other terms [itex]\frac{1}{z^n}[/itex] for n>5 must be zero else the pole would have a higher order. Ok, I'll do some of (b) same dif:

If:
    [tex]f(z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^n+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{b_n}{z^n}[/tex]
    and [itex]f(z)-7e^{1/z} [/itex] has a pole of order 5 and I know that [itex]e^{1/z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{z^n n!}[/itex], then that must mean the terms of f(z) would have to be what to cancel all that out except for at least the [itex]\frac{1}{z^5}[/itex] term?

Ok then, do that same thing with all the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook