Complex analysis -- Essential singularity

LagrangeEuler
Can you give me two more examples for essential singularity except [tex]f(z)=e^{\frac{1}{z}}[/tex]? And also a book where I can find those examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you google "essential singularity + pdf"?

Yes and I did not find any other example.

An essential singularity exists precisely when an infinite number of terms in
$$
f(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty }^{\infty }a_n(z-z_0)^n
$$
with negative exponents do not disappear. This gives you as many examples as you wish. However, the Great Picard and Casorati-Weierstraß are pretty restrictive.

Yes, I know that. But I do not know how to find those examples.

LagrangeEuler said:
Yes, I know that. But I do not know how to find those examples.
Every function with an infinite Taylor series results in a series with an infinite negative part of the Laurent series by substituting ##z\mapsto 1/z.## Sine, cosine, logarithm, etc.

Likes LagrangeEuler and FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
Every function with an infinite Taylor series results in a series with an infinite negative part of the Laurent series by substituting ##z\mapsto 1/z.## Sine, cosine, logarithm, etc.
Excellent. We have to add that the original Taylor series must have an infinite radius of convergence as your examples do.

1. What is an essential singularity in complex analysis?

An essential singularity is a type of singularity in complex analysis where a function behaves in a very irregular manner near a point in the complex plane. At an essential singularity, the function cannot be defined by a Laurent series with a finite number of terms.

2. How can essential singularities be identified in a function?

Essential singularities can be identified by observing the behavior of a function near a point in the complex plane. If the function has an essential singularity at a point, it will have an infinite number of terms in its Laurent series expansion around that point.

3. What are some examples of functions with essential singularities?

Some common examples of functions with essential singularities include the exponential function e^1/z and the sine function sin(1/z). These functions exhibit complex behavior near the origin in the complex plane due to their essential singularities.

4. How do essential singularities differ from poles in complex analysis?

Essential singularities differ from poles in that poles are characterized by having a finite number of terms in their Laurent series expansions, while essential singularities have an infinite number of terms. Poles also have a well-defined residue, whereas essential singularities do not.

5. What is the significance of essential singularities in complex analysis?

Essential singularities play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex functions, particularly near points where the function exhibits irregular behavior. They provide insight into the structure of functions and their properties in the complex plane, helping to analyze and classify different types of singularities.