1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Complex Analysis] Help with Cauchy Integral Problem

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following integral,

[tex]I = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d \theta}{(1-2acos \theta + a^2)^2}, \ 0 < a < 1 [/tex]

For such, transform the integral above into a complex integral of the form ∫Rₐ(z)dz, where Rₐ(z) is a rational function of z. This will be obtained through the substitution z = e^iθ. Therefore, solve the complex integral through Cauchy's Integral Formula for the first derivative of an analytic function.

2. Relevant equations

Cauchy's Integral Formula

[tex] f^{(n)} (z_0) = \frac{n!}{2 \pi i} \oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z - z_0)^{(n+1)}}dz [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Writting dθ in terms of dz

[tex]z = e^{i \theta} [/tex]

[tex]dz = ie^{i \theta} d\theta [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{iz}dz = d\theta [/tex]

Writting

[tex] \frac{1}{(1-2acos \theta + a^2)^2} [/tex]

in terms of z, known that

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) = cos \theta [/tex]

Therefore

[tex] \frac{1}{(1-a\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + a^2)^2} [/tex]

Thus

[tex]I = \oint_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{iz(1-a\left( z + \frac{1}{z}\right) + a^2)^2} [/tex]

Where do I go from here? Any clues on how to express the denominator in terms of (z-z0)² ?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    Try multiplying by z/z. You will have a factor of ##z^2## in the denominator. Thus,

##z^2 \cdot (1-a(z+z^{-1})+a^2)^2 = [z \cdot (1-a(z+z^{-1})+a^2)]^2##

It should be apparent from there!

Edit: When you finally do this, it should become apparent why ##0 < a < 1## is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook