1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complex analysis: Integration About Singularity

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral ∫sin(z)/(z^2-4) dz about the contour C such that it is a circle of radius 2 centered at z = 2.

2. Relevant equations

All theorems of complex analysis except residue theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

There is a singularity at z = 2, so we avoid it by drawing a bridge going from the outer contour now renamed C1, to another circular contour C2 with opposite orientation going around z = 2. The bridges have opposite orientation but same direction, so they cancel out, and the distance between them can be made arbitrarily small.

Therefore the summation of these 2 integrals is C, within which the function is analytic.

Then we recognize that ∫ C1 + ∫ C2 = ∫C = 0.

However I don't know how to apply this directly to solve the problem.

I tried a different way. Lets take the analytic contour C.

Note that f(z) = sin(z)/(z^2-4) = sin(z)/{ (z-2)(z+2) } = sin(z)(z+2)^-1/(z-2)

∫f(z)dz is now in the form ∫f(z)/(z-a) dz = 2πi f(a). Here a = 2, f(z) is now sin(z)(z+2)^-1

Substitute 2 into the equation and we have the integral around C is equal to
    2πi*sin(2)/4 = πi sin(2)/2.

However this is for the entire contour C, while what I'm looking for is C1, the outer contour.

Can I just say that since C2 can be made arbitrarily small, the integral around it must be zero, and the answer I got for C is the final answer? If not what should my next step be?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the Cauchy Integral Formula, yes? If so then just split 1/(x^2-4) using partial fractions and go from there.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    thank you greatly. I already split it up with the Cauchy integral formula and got the answer. I was just wondering if that's my final answer. I think it is now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook