Complex Analysis of a trigonometric function integral

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral using complex analysis and the use of Cauchy's Residue Theorem. There is also a question about extending the integral to include cases where |b| <= 1. Another question is asked about solving an integral using complex analysis. The conversation also briefly mentions defining a branch cut for log z and finding the integral [0,inf] {(logx)^4}/{1+x^2} dx.
badphysicist

Homework Statement

Find [tex]I = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{cos\phi+b} d\phi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Given above..

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is an introductory problem to trigonometric functions and here is how the answer is obtained - but I have a question about it. First, here is the solution.

Use complex analysis. Make the substitution [tex]z=e^{i\phi}[/tex] and [tex]cos\phi=\frac{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}}{2}[/tex] to get [tex]\frac{1}{i}\oint_C {\frac{1}{z^2+2bz+1}dz}[/tex] integrated over the unit circle contour.
We now find the poles: [tex]z_\pm=-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-1}[/tex].

However, as b goes to infinity, you see that the [tex]z_-[/tex] goes to -infinity and [tex]z_+[/tex] goes to 0. Obviously, only [tex]z_+[/tex] stays inside the unit circle for |b|>1 so the solution is:
[tex]\frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{b^2-1}}[/tex]

This is fine and I have no problem with this. This only applies for |b|>1 though. What about for |b|<=1? Well, obviously the integral diverges if you look back at the original integral. Here's my problem - if you try to use contour integration for |b|<=1, you will have to include the residues of both poles because both poles will be on the unit circle as b decreases. Wouldn't the residues cancel giving an answer of zero? What if b is actually a function and you want to do further integrations afterward with respect to a different variable? Thanks for any help on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to consider the cases [tex]b>1[/tex] and [tex]b<-1[/tex] separately.

(1) When [tex]b>1[/tex] :

The pole at [tex]z=-b- \sqrt{b^2-1}<-1[/tex] lies outside the unit circle, while the pole at [tex]z=-b+ \sqrt{b^2-1}= \frac{1}{-b- \sqrt{b^2-1}}[/tex], since [tex]\left| \frac{1}{-b-\sqrt{b^2-1}} \right|<1[/tex], is enclosed by the unit circle, where we have used the fact that the product of the roots of the equation [tex]z^2+2bz+1=0[/tex] is 1.

Thus the required pole in this case is [tex]z=-b+ \sqrt{b^2-1}[/tex].

(2) When [tex]b<-1[/tex] :

The pole at [tex]z=-b+ \sqrt{b^2-1}>1[/tex] lies outside the unit circle, while a similar argument to the above shows that the pole at [tex]z=-b- \sqrt{b^2-1}[/tex] lies within the unit circle.

Thus there would be two general solutions, corresponding to the cases b > 1 and b < -1.

As for extending the integral to the case [tex]\left| b \right| \leq 1[/tex], I think Cauchy's Residue Theorem cannot be applied at all. If, indeed, [tex]\left| b \right| \leq 1[/tex], then the roots of the equation [tex]z^2+2bz+1=0[/tex] must be a conjugate pair, and since their product is equal to 1, the modulii of each of the roots is 1. The expression [tex]\frac{1}{z^2+2bz+1}dz}[/tex] is therefore not analytic on the contour of integration, and so we cannot apply the residue theorem in this case.

The last question seems a little open-ended. There are probably very many possibilities, and the most suitable methods of integration in each case may vary considerably. Complex integration may not always be the best choice - I guess it all depends on what specific function you are given for b.

I would like to know how to solve integral with complex analysis:

Integrate[Sin[5*x]/Sin[x], {x,0,2*Pi}] !

I made substitution, get poles +1 and -1, but residue came 0.

Please help!

Last edited:
I have an exam in one week and I really have to know this!

Complex Analysis of Branch Cut

I am trying to figure out the following homework questions:

1 a. Say what it means to define a branch cut for log z. Define a branch for log z and give the location of the branch cut. Note make your definition appropriate for part b.

1b. Find integral [0,inf] {(logx)^4}/{1+x^2 } dx =

Do I have to divide the countour to 3 different path and integrate from there?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the use of techniques from calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze complex-valued functions.

2. What is a trigonometric function integral?

A trigonometric function integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It is used to find the area under a curve of a trigonometric function.

3. How is complex analysis used in the evaluation of trigonometric function integrals?

Complex analysis is used to convert a trigonometric function integral into a complex-valued integral, which can then be evaluated using techniques such as contour integration and residue theorem.

4. What is the significance of complex analysis in understanding trigonometric functions?

Complex analysis helps us to understand the behavior of trigonometric functions in a more general and abstract way. It allows us to extend the concepts of trigonometric functions to the complex plane, providing a deeper understanding of their properties and relationships.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis in the study of trigonometric function integrals?

Complex analysis has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields where trigonometric functions are used to model real-world phenomena. For example, it is used in signal processing, control systems, and electromagnetics to analyze and design systems using trigonometric functions.