Complex Analysis: Open Mapping Theorem, Argument Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of three assertions related to complex analysis. Part (a) states that if a holomorphic function is equal at two points in a sequence that converges to a third point, then the derivative at the third point is zero. This is proven using the Identity Theorem. Part (b) states that an entire function with a certain integral property is constant, which is false as shown by the example of an exponential function. Part (c) discusses the definition of a harmonic function and how it relates to Laplace's equation.
nateHI

Homework Statement

In each case, state whether the assertion is true or false, and justify your answer with a proof or counterexample.

(a) Let ##f## be holomorphic on an open connected set ##O\subseteq \mathcal{C}##. Let ##a\in O##. Let ##\{z_k\}## and ##\{\zeta_k\}## be two sequences contained in ##O\setminus \{a\}## and converging to ##a##, such that for every ##k=1,2,\dots##, ##f(z_k)=f(\zeta_k)## and ##z_k\neq \zeta_k##. Then ##f^{\prime}(a)=0##.
ANS
This is true. By hypothesis, there exists ##D^{\prime}(a,\frac{1}{n})## such that ##f(z_n)=f(\zeta_n)=a##. Let ##g=f(z)-a##. By the Identity Theorem, ##g=0\implies f(z)=a##, which is a constant function and indeed, ##f^{\prime}(a)=0##.

(b) Let g be an entire function such that ##\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{|z|=R}\frac{g^{\prime}}{g}=0## for all ##R>1000##. Then ##g## is constant.
ANS
This statement is false since ##g## can also be an exponential. Why? Since ##g## is entire it has no poles, and ##\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{|z|=R}\frac{g^{\prime}}{g}=0## implies ##g## has no zeroes either. An exponential would be an example of a non-constant entire function that has no zeros.
(c) Let ##u## be a real-valued harmonic function on ##D(0,1)##, and let ##\gamma## be a closed curve in that disk. Then ##\int_{\gamma}u=0##.
ANS
I'm not sure how to do this. By harmonic does the problem mean analytic or that the 2nd derivative is 0? The book uses it both ways throughout the text hence my confusion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I included my attempt in the problem statement. Although for part (a), I didn't use the hypothesis that ##f## isn't one to one. I believe my answer works though.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't see any issues in (a) or (b) that would lead me to question their validity. In part (C), harmonic normally implies that they satisfy Laplace's equation.
##\Delta f - \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} = 0. ## Where ##\Delta## is the second spatial derivative. For a function that doesn't vary in time, this equates to the second derivative being zero.
I think it is implicit in the definition of a harmonic function that it be twice differentiable.

RUber said:
I didn't see any issues in (a) or (b) that would lead me to question their validity. In part (C), harmonic normally implies that they satisfy Laplace's equation.
##\Delta f - \frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2} = 0. ## Where ##\Delta## is the second spatial derivative. For a function that doesn't vary in time, this equates to the second derivative being zero.
I think it is implicit in the definition of a harmonic function that it be twice differentiable.

OK thanks, just to be clear, are you saying I did parts (a) and (b) correct?
EDIT:
Actually, I clean my answer part (a) up a little bit below. It's not a significant change but it should make my reasoning more clear.
---------------
This is true. By hypothesis, there exists ##z_n\in D^{\prime}(a,\frac{1}{n})## such that ##f(z_n)=f(\zeta_n)=a##. Let ##g=f(z)-a##. By the Identity Theorem, ##g=0\implies f(z)=a##, which is a constant function and indeed, ##f^{\prime}(a)=0##.

Last edited:

1. What is the Open Mapping Theorem in Complex Analysis?

The Open Mapping Theorem states that a non-constant analytic function maps open sets to open sets. In other words, if a function is analytic and non-constant, it will map an open set in its domain to an open set in its range. This theorem is important in many applications of complex analysis, such as in the study of conformal mappings.

2. How is the Open Mapping Theorem different from the Closed Mapping Theorem?

The Open Mapping Theorem and Closed Mapping Theorem are complementary theorems. While the Open Mapping Theorem states that a non-constant analytic function maps open sets to open sets, the Closed Mapping Theorem states that a non-constant analytic function maps closed sets to closed sets. In other words, the Open Mapping Theorem deals with open sets, while the Closed Mapping Theorem deals with closed sets.

3. What is the Argument Principle in Complex Analysis?

The Argument Principle is a theorem that relates the zeros and poles of an analytic function to its contour integral around a closed curve. It states that the number of zeros of a function inside a closed curve is equal to the difference between the number of poles and the number of zeros of the function on the curve. This principle is useful in finding the number of zeros of a function without explicitly calculating them.

4. How is the Argument Principle used in the study of complex functions?

The Argument Principle is used in many applications of complex analysis, such as in the study of Riemann surfaces, conformal mapping, and the calculation of residues. It allows us to analyze the behavior of analytic functions near their poles and zeros, and to determine important properties of these functions without explicitly solving for their zeros and poles.

5. Can the Open Mapping Theorem and the Argument Principle be applied to all complex functions?

Both the Open Mapping Theorem and the Argument Principle can be applied to analytic functions, which are functions that can be represented by convergent power series. These theorems do not apply to non-analytic functions, such as functions with discontinuities or functions that are not differentiable. In addition, the Open Mapping Theorem only applies to non-constant functions, while the Argument Principle applies to all analytic functions.